can anyone identify this fish?

Melinda35

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Texas
We found a ton of these in a mud hole that catches run off from the highway. We had put 5 very large catfish in this mud hole during the drought late last summer. Now the hole is getting low and the tanks are finally filled up so we needed to sane out the fish to put them in deeper water and this is what we found. Worried they might be carp.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like it might be a squaw fish?

I did not know what a squaw fish was until I googled it. I found that they are in the Pacific Northwest, I'm in Texas, but then it also said in the Colorado River which is not that far from here. I really hope it is not a squaw fish though. They seem invasive and like to eat other fish. When I our large tank started drying up we found more than 200 carp in the bottom and only 5 large catfish. I really want the catfish and not the carp. Keeping my
fl.gif
for minnows!

Thanks for the suggestion.

looks like non flashy versions of my sons guppies
Exactly! I had million of those when I was a kid in Florida! The one pictured here is a female and most likely pregnant. They are live bearers, and I remember how excited I was to find tiny little fish darting among the plants.

Back
Top Bottom