1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone identify what's wrong with Pet Peking duck! Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quackers40, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Quackers40

Quackers40 New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    My Peking duck has not been able to walk for a few days now. His leg/ankle is very swollen and warm to touch. His appetite is fine and bowel movements normal. Here are the pictures. Please help! [​IMG][/IMG]
    The second picture is the one swollen and warm
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    With the warm leg, my thoughts jump to infection, but I seriously doubt it'd occur without some visible sign. I'd say a sprain is more likely, especially since Pekin's seem to be prone to leg injury and are a bit heavier. I'd do some warm Epsom salt water soakings, 5-10 minutes in a small tub, 2-3 times a day. Can't remember the proportion of salt and water, but searching Epsom salt soak should yield more details. I've heard oregano leaves, fresh from the plant or dried (no salts or seasonings) has anti-inflammatory properties, and apparently works well in ducks.Letting him rest and monitoring his leg are probably a good idea, regardless. Good luck to you and your duck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by