Can anyone judge the age of these?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ClemsonAg, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ClemsonAg

ClemsonAg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

I got these two Easter eggers and the individuals who sold them weren't quit sure of the age. They haven't started laying yet since their transition here, which I figured was normal due to the move. Is there anyway to judge age. Just excited and hopeful to get some colorful eggs.

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    There really is no way to judge a hens age. The person didn't tell you about how long they had them? Do you know if they were laying eggs before you got them?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    They came from a free range farm. About 300 chickens there so they couldn't 100% tell me that those two had laid. They said they thought they were about a 12-14 months. I have had them at my house for about a week and a half now.

5. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    They should have settled in and started laying within a day or two. You can check their vents to see if they've started laying yet or are done laying because they're older than what they said they thought the birds were. But that's not 100%, might give you an idea though if they will lay or not.

6. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks. I'll give them a looker tomorrow.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have ya here with us [​IMG]

Feed them some laying feed and see if that works but it is also still January and they might still be on the annual strike [​IMG]

Good luck and happy egg day's are ahead for you [​IMG]

8. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    When I got my flock, they were adult hens and one started laying eggs immediately, a couple more took several days before they started laying, and then I had one (easter egger) who was more skittish and maybe feeling more disturbed about the move to a new home. That easter egger took a couple weeks before she started laying again, but once she did, she was a fantastic egg layer. Moving to a new place can easily throw off their laying cycle, so if it's just been a few days, I wouldn't sweat it yet.

Plus, as another person mentioned, they may not be laying right now anyway since it is still winter. Most of my flock is currently on strike too. ;)

9. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies. I currently have them on a 16% protein laying feed and I give them scratch feed before they roost. Like a handful or so. I also run lights on them a few hours before sunrise and a little while after nightfall. The light is new, so maybe in a few weeks it will all pan out. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by