Can anyone please explain me the difference between the Bowhite and GG

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I have been looking online for the past couple of days and no luck on finding an article that fully explains the difference between the Northern Bobwhite and the Geogia Giant Bobwhite. Basically, they are the same correct? Just the G.G. being a little more faster and bigger?

The "buuu--bob---white!!!" call should be the same correct?

Also...how was the Georigia Giant Bobwhite even bred? Is it basically selectively breeding the Northerns to be bigger and bigger and just name them as Georgia Gaint rather than the smaller Northern ancestor?

Would be nice to know : ) Thank You Thank You

- Tommy

Anyone...???
big_smile.png

I did some quick research but like you I did not really find anything. What I found appeared to be from game bird hatcheries or "hunting clubs."

It appears that the Bobwhite (wild form) is the parent and that the other types are subspecies, my guess being selectively bred for the desirable trait of size. Just my guess. Hope someone else has more information. There are folks on here that raise quail.

Quote:
Exactly right!! Same for the Wisconsin, Jumbo, Tenn Red and the host of other colors/size variations.

I have a list of the subspecies with basic descrips of the groups and some of the local names - http://www.gbwf.org/quail/bobwhite.html , adapted from Johnsgard.

Sad thing is, people don't know (or care) the difference and will breed all the ssp together or release in a location where a native ssp lives. This has occurred in Asia with the True Pheasants and many unique races are now extinct.

Dan

Thank You EVERYONE!!!

However, there is one thing I am still unsure of...

Will they both still have the SAME exact calls, just some being bigger than others. etc?

- Tommy

Quote:
I wish i coudl help you there...i dont know but I'd assume they would, just maybe a slightly different sounding of the same call. *a pure guess*

I wanted to comment, that is soo cool you have red jungle fowl-100% bloodline! *jealous*!
smile.png

Quick question:

Regardless if its the original "Northern Bobwhite" or not, will any of the subspecies make the Bobwhite Call and what ago do they have to be in order to do such call?

Mines are almost 3 months old now, yet, don't hear the Buhh-Bob-Whiteee! call yet. Hummm...I have 3 pairs too, so just curious as to why they aren't calling.

Any info would help.

Thanks!

- Tommy

Back
Top Bottom