Can anyone please help? Should I cull or save?

smoore7489

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2017
Okay. So a little background story. I had a chicken a while back who randomly started acting ill. I posted a thread and noone had any answers. Her only symptoms at that time were lethargy and not wanting to eat or be with the flock. (So understandable that noone could help) she recovered within 2 days and was fine! So I just figured it was her just feeling weird or eating something that didnt sit right.
Two days ago I found something super weird inside an egg. I made a thread about it and someone said it looks like a sign of reproductive problems in a hen. (Lash eggs, infection ,etc)
WELL NOW the same chicken from a while back is back in my makeshift hospital. Her vent is swollen now and shes pecking at her bottom. She actually might be egg bound this time so Im treating her as so. She also had droppings oozing out her bottom that I cleaned off.

So my theory is she probably does have reproductive issues.First this egg, now her sickly. Shes a red sex link and only a year old. Every other hen seems fine. Honestly Im kind of at a loss at what I did wrong. They free range, get fermented feed with oyster shells, herbs, and good nutrition of kitchen scraps.

Anyways my question is..should I help bring her back to good health. Do you have any other theories of what could be wrong? Should I fear for my flock?
Should I cull her? (which honestly im fine with bc she is sweet but doesnt necessarily hold a special place in my heart like the rest)
If I do cull her could I even use her meat since it might be infection? (Im a vegetarian but my dog eats fresh COOKED meat with her diet, chicken included)

Please someone help. Im so lost. And I'm new to this still. **If u need pictures I will post

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken, it sounds to me like she might have an infection or eatin something she should not have, I would separate her from the flock for a couple days & see what happens. Hopefully someone more educated about chickens can help. GoodLuck

OMG So like clockwork I look inside the hospital box and there is a lash egg. (Or im assuming this is what it is) She pecked at it, cause it was broken up. Looks like my suspicions might be correct. Any suggestions?
20180314_162548.jpg
20180314_162548.jpg

That's definitely a lash egg which means there definitely is an infection which isn't rare in a production sex link unfortunately. You could try antibiotics, in a pinch penicillin sold for fish can be used. If she's doing this at a year old though her laying might not ever be exactly right. It is ultimately up to you, but if you do cull she is perfectly useable, but I would avoid using the insides just in case. Poor girl, I hope the best for her.

OMG So like clockwork I look inside the hospital box and there is a lash egg. (Or im assuming this is what it is) She pecked at it, cause it was broken up. Looks like my suspicions might be correct. Any suggestions?
View attachment 1296360 View attachment 1296360
Sorry you face this. :(

Keeping the flock strong is a good choice. Since you aren't against culling... that's exactly what I would do (when lash egg is involved) while she is still usable as feed. She IS going to continue to decline, unfortunately. Or it will happen again. Something about her is weaker than the rest. Not everyone can get the best of the genetic makeup. Doesn't make them bad birds, but sometimes make them not really viable. Instead of letting her suffer and possibly inviting disease... the humane thing for her, your flock, and YOURSELF... might be culling.

It really stinks! Do you have anyone that can help you? I don't believe it's a decision you will regret. :fl

I think Im going to put her out of her misery. Everything Ive looked up doesnt seem good for her in the long run :hmm If she was a favorite it might be different but this seems like the best.
Ive never done this before so i guess Ill be watching videos and researching. Ill just keep her comfy until then.
Any tips or tricks u guys could give me?
If shes safe to eat Im going to cook her and feed her to my dog. That way its not in vain.

I use a cone and cut the jugular, hold the head slightly up to make sure the blood has drained... and walk away before the "death jerk" starts. It took practice to get it right. :hmm

I have heard of people who use a broom stick method.

I don't agree with everything that's said, but this is still a good read..
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2017/02/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/

http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/the-4-most-humane-ways-to-kill-a-backyard-chicken/

http://www.poultryindustrycouncil.c...delines-for-On-Farm-Euthanasia-of-Poultry.pdf

I agree that long term prognosis is dismal from research I've done. And have faced it in an older girl. She would some times lay normal but other not. And I made sure she went quickly.

For birds I intend to process, I do withhold feed for at least over night until morning to clear their crop and bowels as much as possible for a cleaner job. Some go longer but that ain't my style.

It takes guts to process a chicken even for your dog and so that it isn't in vain. I don't envy you at all and I admire you a bunch. Should you decide it isn't up your alley to do the gutting and all that... :sick Well saving a hen from slowly continuing to go down hill and be in pain, and doing what WAS in the best interest of your flock... WILL mean that it wasn't in vain either way. :hugs

Wish I could be more help. :fl

I use a cone and cut the jugular, hold the head slightly up to make sure the blood has drained... and walk away before the "death jerk" starts. It took practice to get it right. :hmm

I have heard of people who use a broom stick method.

I don't agree with everything that's said, but this is still a good read..
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2017/02/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/

http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/the-4-most-humane-ways-to-kill-a-backyard-chicken/

http://www.poultryindustrycouncil.c...delines-for-On-Farm-Euthanasia-of-Poultry.pdf

I agree that long term prognosis is dismal from research I've done. And have faced it in an older girl. She would some times lay normal but other not. And I made sure she went quickly.

For birds I intend to process, I do withhold feed for at least over night until morning to clear their crop and bowels as much as possible for a cleaner job. Some go longer but that ain't my style.

It takes guts to process a chicken even for your dog and so that it isn't in vain. I don't envy you at all and I admire you a bunch. Should you decide it isn't up your alley to do the gutting and all that... :sick Well saving a hen from slowly continuing to go down hill and be in pain, and doing what WAS in the best interest of your flock... WILL mean that it wasn't in vain either way. :hugs

Wish I could be more help. :fl

Thank you for the reading. Im preparing myself at this moment. I think im going to do the broom stick method or just the whole chopping off the head. I am not completely comfortable with doing the throat slitting just yet. Too afraid of getting it wrong and further traumatizing myself.
It's very hard to look at her and get in this mindset but I know it'll be harder to watch her keep declining.

You can feed the meat to the dog with out cooking it, but the dog might not want to eat it.... it is very good for them when raw.
It's true that many people feed raw chicken diets to their dogs. :thumbsup

They do it bones and all! I'm not sure about feathers and I would imagine gutted still? My vet said raw bones yes, cooked bones NO because they splinter. Though I'm not sure a dog without experience can appreciate it. Most the time when we offer uncooked meat to my four legged K-9 friends... they look at me like.. Huh? where's the beef! :p

The first time is often the worst. But when you know you will be able to confidently help other birds in the future, especially those you actually like... having the experience under your belt to know you aren't causing them extra trauma is actually a blessing.

Seems like the broomstick method might be a good choice. Since I've never done it.. I don't know if the bird needs to be weighted down or anything to not become like the saying chicken running around with it's head cut off. :(

:fl

Back
Top Bottom