Can anyone please help?

AlexD98

Chirping
I have had this lavender araucana for about 3 - 4 weeks now, the lady I got her off told me she was 11 months old and just starting to moult.
She apparently laid 2 days before I picked her up but hasn't had one since.

when she arrived she had sort of normal/watery poops, those have cleared up now but still get the occasional one.
However her feathers and bum feathers have barely improved.
I can't see any signs of lice or mites and she has also been wormed.

Attachments

• 20200803_191556.jpg
    20200803_191556.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200803_191541.jpg
    20200803_191541.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200803_191512.jpg
    20200803_191512.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200803_191447.jpg
    20200803_191447.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200803_191429.jpg
    20200803_191429.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200803_191413.jpg
    20200803_191413.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200803_191157.jpg
    20200803_191157.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 9
If she is molting, she can and should look pretty ragged. Pretty new feathers should come in. Make sure she is getting enough protein in her diet, to help with growing the new feathers. Consider feeding her an all flock food with oyster shell on the side
Thanks, I give them a mix of layer pellets and mixed hen feed, as well as treats.
She seems happy in herself, eating, drinking, foraging.

I have had this lavender araucana for about 3 - 4 weeks now, the lady I got her off told me she was 11 months old and just starting to moult.
She apparently laid 2 days before I picked her up but hasn't had one since.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I'm gonna start by saying molting birds DON'T lay eggs usually as all their energy is going to regrowing feathers.

Next.. what is your location? I know there are different standards of perfection by country.. but that is NOT a purebred Araucana.. They would not be crested as your girl is. In the US Araucana are rump-less.. and tufted.. different than beards and muffs.

Her feathers do look like heck.. not uncommon in birds that need to molt soon.. and lavender feathers can be more fragile than others.

Honestly.. she doesn't look like she's molting to me. Her feathers won't improve until she does molt.

Signs of lice or mites would be angry red skin below the vent and on the abdomen.

The point trying to be made by the other poster about using a flock raiser feed.. is that most layer feed are 16% protein which is considered the MINIMUM to maintain a light bodied layer like Leghorn in good condition. Most treats folks feed actually diminish nutrients not enhance them.

You gal is looking more dual purpose shaped in her body.. AND feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Also molting birds don't lay and bird NOT in lay should not be fed calcium in excess of 3% long term as it *could* cause gout, and kidney issues.. including failure and even sudden death.. Most likely in those genetically predisposed somehow. Most layer feed has at least 4% calcium. I never ever feed layer since learning the difference and my bird have softer molts and return to lay sooner since making the switch a few year back. Oyster shell is free choice on the side for active layers. The more amino acids also work to support the overall immune system including fighting off internal and external parasites. Plain dirt is great for a dust bath.. each bird has their own routine, some bathe more than others.

Even though she doesn't appear to be molting to me.. I have had them randomly take breaks from laying.. especially after a change in environment like a move. Make sure she isn't hiding a nest somewhere. And beyond that.. wonder if she was being sold because she wasn't a good layer..

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their most relevant suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

She is beautiful, glad she's settled in nicely! :love

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I'm gonna start by saying molting birds DON'T lay eggs usually as all their energy is going to regrowing feathers.

Next.. what is your location? I know there are different standards of perfection by country.. but that is NOT a purebred Araucana.. They would not be crested as your girl is. In the US Araucana are rump-less.. and tufted.. different than beards and muffs.

Her feathers do look like heck.. not uncommon in birds that need to molt soon.. and lavender feathers can be more fragile than others.

Honestly.. she doesn't look like she's molting to me. Her feathers won't improve until she does molt.

Signs of lice or mites would be angry red skin below the vent and on the abdomen.

The point trying to be made by the other poster about using a flock raiser feed.. is that most layer feed are 16% protein which is considered the MINIMUM to maintain a light bodied layer like Leghorn in good condition. Most treats folks feed actually diminish nutrients not enhance them.

You gal is looking more dual purpose shaped in her body.. AND feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Also molting birds don't lay and bird NOT in lay should not be fed calcium in excess of 3% long term as it *could* cause gout, and kidney issues.. including failure and even sudden death.. Most likely in those genetically predisposed somehow. Most layer feed has at least 4% calcium. I never ever feed layer since learning the difference and my bird have softer molts and return to lay sooner since making the switch a few year back. Oyster shell is free choice on the side for active layers. The more amino acids also work to support the overall immune system including fighting off internal and external parasites. Plain dirt is great for a dust bath.. each bird has their own routine, some bathe more than others.

Even though she doesn't appear to be molting to me.. I have had them randomly take breaks from laying.. especially after a change in environment like a move. Make sure she isn't hiding a nest somewhere. And beyond that.. wonder if she was being sold because she wasn't a good layer..

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their most relevant suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

She is beautiful, glad she's settled in nicely! :love
Wow, that was very helpful. I'm from the UK(Northumberland).

She doesn't have any red or distressed skin and I can't see any parasites on her. Would you recommend an additive for their water maybe? A lot of people recommend vitamin drinks.

Im not fussed on the egg laying as I keep them as pets rather than for production.

Would you recommend an additive for their water maybe? A lot of people recommend vitamin drinks.
Not sure what's available to you over there. If feeding a quality balanced ration and not diminishing nutrients too far with excess treats.. then supplements are not needed. If you do choose to supplement something, nothing should be given more than 10 days in a row. I'm not big ob supplements unless someone is really in need of a boost to their immune system. My top supplement choice for adult bird is Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (product).. (mixes easiest with wet feed)
https://www.amazon.com/Rooster-Booster-Poultry-Cell-16-Ounce/dp/B007NS0DWW

I sometimes use it if there has been a stressful event like an attack, move to another home, etc. My second choice is Poultry Nutri Drench.. Both have amino acids, that I haven't found in other supplements.. (mixes fine in water)
https://www.amazon.com/BOVIDR-LABORATO-617407594416-Nutri-Drench-Solution/dp/B00GSOD8KG?th=1

One possibility for increased nutrition if flock raiser type feed isn't available would be mixing a starter feed with your layer and oyster shell on the side free choice. :)

Back
Top Bottom