Can anyone tell me how to treat vent gleet naturally

Premier Poultry

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2024
Does anyone know how to treat vent gleet naturally, I don't have any epsom salts and I don't know any vets that treat chickens, thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2205.JPG
    DSCN2205.JPG
    453.1 KB · Views: 52
What are the symptoms that make you think you're dealing with vent gleet?

It's supremely difficult to treat, though. If you try to use "natural" remedies such as garlic and ACV, you will be disappointed. Epsom salt three-day flush via tubing into the crop twice a day for three consecutive days is one of the most effective treatments. Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is easily found at any pharmacy.

Other treatments require a prescription and are not nearly as effective as the Epsom salt flush.

An alternative to Epsom salts would be copper sulfate in the drinking water. It can be bought on Amazon.

What are the symptoms that make you think you're dealing with vent gleet?

It's supremely difficult to treat, though. If you try to use "natural" remedies such as garlic and ACV, you will be disappointed. Epsom salt three-day flush via tubing into the crop twice a day for three consecutive days is one of the most effective treatments. Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is easily found at any pharmacy.

Other treatments require a prescription and are not nearly as effective as the Epsom salt flush.

An alternative to Epsom salts would be copper sulfate in the drinking water. It can be bought on Amazon.
Thanks I'll try it

Okay, well, my chickens sometimes get something that looks like gleet but it turned out to be worms. I no longer believe in gleet.
Gleet is layman's term for a yeast infection, which is real and common. Worms can also cause messy bums and diarrhea, which sort of looks like gleet but isn't.
worms are fixed by worming, gleet is fixed by yeast infection medicine.

This is a medical forum, chicken keepers don't often have access to vets so we turn to other experienced keepers, please don't suggest remedies if you aren't familiar with the issue. Thanks!
:welcome

Creams that are used for vaginal yeast infections in women are very good for this, apply to the affected area after first cleaning with water. I would also suggest giving micanazole suppositories orally. I’ve never treated it naturally, with a nasty infection like this it really needs more big time treatment. You can get these creams over the counter at CVS or Walgreens drug stores. Good luck!

Does anyone know how to treat vent gleet naturally, I don't have any epsom salts and I don't know any vets that treat chickens, thanks
I have not treated vent gleet personally, but I am an herbalist and have treated fungal infection and yeast infections in humans and dogs. Things that come to mind for me that you can look into are Pau Darco, Cats Claw, Chamomile, Usnea Australis, Oregano Oil, echinacea, and maybe broadleaf plantain. Lavender helps topically with pain and inflammation. turmeric is very helpful for that as well. Both if I remember correctly are antifungal. If it were me I would use a combination of the listed items either as a tea or tincture or essential oils. I mostly use teas and tinctures. I've also cured pink eye and eye infections with chamomile, Pau Darco, and usnea. I would also make sure to get some probiotics in her through her water and fast her off of food for at least 24 hrs of not 36. Just make sure she's getting fluids. Coconut oil infused with the above things would make a great salve topically. For yeast infections I've made a tea wash that I've applied topically. Personally I would use all of them topically and internally at the same time. Colloidal silver is also another wonderful tool you could use. Epsom salt soaks along with everything else I mentioned should have your bird as good as new in no time at all :)

I have not treated vent gleet personally, but I am an herbalist and have treated fungal infection and yeast infections in humans and dogs. Things that come to mind for me that you can look into are Pau Darco, Cats Claw, Chamomile, Usnea Australis, Oregano Oil, echinacea, and maybe broadleaf plantain. Lavender helps topically with pain and inflammation. turmeric is very helpful for that as well. Both if I remember correctly are antifungal. If it were me I would use a combination of the listed items either as a tea or tincture or essential oils. I mostly use teas and tinctures. I've also cured pink eye and eye infections with chamomile, Pau Darco, and usnea. I would also make sure to get some probiotics in her through her water and fast her off of food for at least 24 hrs of not 36. Just make sure she's getting fluids. Coconut oil infused with the above things would make a great salve topically. For yeast infections I've made a tea wash that I've applied topically. Personally I would use all of them topically and internally at the same time. Colloidal silver is also another wonderful tool you could use. Epsom salt soaks along with everything else I mentioned should have your bird as good as new in no time at all :)
thank you so much I'll try oregano oil

Back
Top Bottom