Can anyone tell me if this is a leghorn or a Rhode Island white? Thanks!

I'm going to vehemently disagree with several of you. In my opinion, this is not a Cornish Cross. I've just raised and processed 23 of them, and this is a different type of chicken. It stands differently and is not shaped right in several areas. Don't know what it is, but a CX it is not.

More pictures of course would help a lot, especially of legs, feet, and standing normally.

So, good news, it shouldn't be prone to the health issues CX often have, and should have no trouble breeding (which CX also often have).

I read that crossing a RIR hen with a RIW rooster produces sex-linked chicks! Pullets will be red, and cockerels will be white. Bonus! For this alone, I truly hope he is a Rhode Island White.

I'm not going to post regarding breed as I can't add anything of use there beyond what's already been posted, I just want to point out that this is incorrect--it's the opposite cross that would make sexlinked chicks. Rhode Island Red male over silver-based Rhode Island White females is what you want. This is because females can only pass sexlinked genes to their sons, never to their daughters. Males, however, can pass sexlinked genes to offspring of either sex. The silver gene is the sexlinked gene in this equation. So the RIW being the male means ALL chicks inherit silver from him, whereas the male being a RIR and the RIW being the female in the cross means only the male chicks can inherit silver, making them distinguishable from their red sisters at hatch.

Slight edit for clarity

Last edited:
Rhode Island Whites by standard have rose combs and are quite uncommon. He appears to be a White Rock :)
I was coming here to say the same thing. It's certainly not a Leghorn. With better photos, it should be easy to establish if the bird is a White Rock or a Cornish Cross. The way the bird is standing and the size does make me think it might be a meat bird. @duluthralphie had a project where he bred meat birds from Cornish Crosses that could lay and breed on their own. This bird may not be a first-generation cross from a hatchery. Any details the seller has about the bird would make it easier to identify it.

This is a chicken I am thinking about buying to put in with my Rhode Island Red hens. Just trying to figure out what breed it but all the pictures I’ve found are similar so I’m not sure and these are the only pictures she has sent me. Any help would be great.
If this rooster IS indeed a Cornish Cross, then you do NOT want this big boy. He may not be able to successfully mate with your RIR hens; or if he does manage it somehow, he will have difficulty and could even injure the hens. He will not tolerate heat nor cold very well, doesn't forage well, and comes with a host of health issues. He will need a TON of attention and careful management to keep him alive.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that he's a White Rock.

With all the discussion here and no consensus, I think we're all eager to know if you could provide more details and photos. If your seller isn't willing to provide that, then definitely PASS on this boy and find a different one. But please give us an update!

Back
Top Bottom