Can anyone tell me what breed this is?

hannahfroodoo

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2016

We had some mixed pure breed fertilised eggs that we put under our broody hens. I have figured out what the others are but this one has me stumped. It is 4 weeks old. Can anyone shed some light on what breed it is? It has just started to develop a bit of a black feathered crest on its head but I'm pretty sure it isn't a polish. At least, it doesn't look like the other Polish we have had.

Welcome to BYC!
For clarity - were the eggs from a flock that was made up of many different pure bred birds so there is possible mixed mating, or did you obtain an assortment of eggs that were all of pure breeding for their particular breed?

Thankyou! It's obviously not as simple as I thought. Hmmm. The eggs were supposed to be pure breed for their particular breed, not from a mixed flock. Some of the eggs were labelled but a couple were not. It was grey/black with a bit of a brown head when it hatched. We are in Australia - Gold Coast. This is the one that my 8 year old daughter picked out as 'hers' and she is desperate to know what it is but maybe she will just have to be patient. I found her googling 'different chicks from all over the world' hahaha! You can imagine the results THAT search generated! Luckily I managed to intervene...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom