Can anyone tell me what happened?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I had posted yesterday that I had found one of my chickens lying on the ground and lethargic. I had the night before realized that I had forgottent to take the cap of the waterer and so they didn't have water. (My stupid fault.) When I opened the cap they came running to drink. Well the next day is when I found my chicken laying down. I was checking her over and barely massaged her crop and liquid poured out of her mouth. It looked just like water. SO I thought maybe she had over drank because water hadn't been available and she was laying down because of that combined with the heat but was still looking into it. When I went back out she was dead.
Can anyone tell me what could have caused this? The day before she was up running around, no signs of illness, sickness or anything and the next day there she was. I had searched through the posts on here and heard some similiar stories and some people's ideas was crop stasis but wouldn't there have been some notice? thanks.

Sounds like sour crop. You can do a search and get loads of info about here. I'm sorry about your loss. I recently lost my favorite Silkie roo to it, too.

So sorry this happened to you, I am so scared that I am gonna forget that cap ( again ) that i fill a bucket up in the run everyday in case I ever do. How long do you think they were without? Mine went from about 6pm to 2pm the next day. Luckily it was cool weather.

It is so hard to remember but from what I can come up with it was like I did it at night and then it was the next night before i realized so a whole day. Grrrr I am so not with it lately. I think the rest are fine though. They are up and about doing there thing. So ya'll believe it is sour crop? I didn't smell anything sour but I guess it could stil be it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom