Can anyone tell me what kind of chickes these are????? (Pixs)

StephanieD

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Does anyone know what kind of chicks these are? I haven't a clue about chicken breeds! They are 6 days old. Too soon to tell?

82156_march_2011_chicks_038.jpg

82156_march_2011_chicks_016.jpg

82156_march_2011_chicks_030.jpg

Last edited:
I got them from a private individual. Can you really sex them by the size/length of their feathers?

Some say you can, others say Only if the parents have the right genes for fast growing feathers in hens. Personally I've read that all hens grow feathers faster than the males so I'm confused. I tried it with my new chicks (black orpingtons) and when they finally get old enough to tell for sure, I'll let you know.

Yes they have to be bred for feather sexing. It is the males that will have longer pin feathers at first if they are bred for it. Most breeds are not.

So here is the main reason for my confusion: After seeing videos of how to do this, and looking at my own, there is a definite difference in feathers that correspond to what the ones in the videos look like, yet mine have not been bred for feather sexing. Maybe the dad does have this gene accidently? Don't know.

I took these pictures yesterday and their feathers have grown A LOT! I should take some more pixs today.....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom