Can anyone tell me what kind of ducks i hatched.. whats a purple duckling turn into? PICS

AliciaC

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
IA
Hi from Iowa. I hatched these little cuties July 22nd. The lady I got the eggs from sold the eggs as call ducks but did not mention the type or color. The pictures she posted were all the white with black or brown spots (magpies)? I'm especially curious what kind the purplish or lavender duckling is. It looks kind of bluish in the picture but the pic doesn't do the color justice. Its changed a lot since hatching. It was a medium greening grey when it hatched. The brown one with the white ring around its neck has me stumped also. That is the sweetest one! I'm just really curious what they are all called. BTW.. their pool water in the last few pics is only a couple hours old.. they are such slobs!

I am not an expert on this by any means, but I think your lavender duckling might be a silver/splashed color phase? They are the ones that make the "blue" color if that gene is heterozygous along with black. I think the silver is hard to get since it is recessive. I know that there are hatcheries, like Metzer Farms, that keep pens of the splashed ducks to mate with black ones so that the result will be all blue babies. I hope I am making sense :)

She's gorgeous, by the way.

Last edited:
Ohhh good to know.. thank you! You do sound like an expert to me
smile.png
and I appreciate the lesson. I don't know why I've become so obsessed with what are these colors and why this and that.. I cant wait to look up and learn about all these new duck things!

silver/splashed color phase

gene is heterozygous

recessive

No problem! I am interested in genetics, and I recently bought a Blue Swedish duckling so I was reading about them. It's the blue that's heterozygous, though, I believe the silver is homozygous (so two recessive genes have to be present for it to happen). Here is where I got some of my info:

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BlueSwed...ue Swedish&BirdType=Duck&ID=BS&CustID=2807611

And a pic:

800px-Svensk_bl%C3%A5_anka.jpg

The two on the right are blue, and you can see the black and silver parents on the left. Yours looks like that color to me...like a very pale silvery gray.

There is also a color phase in chickens that is similar. This is a Lavender Orpington:

lavHen.jpg

Hope this helps! I love random information too :)

Agree! They do look like call ducks and that one looks to be a splash (diluted blue).

Who did you get eggs from? I hatched some that I bought and ended up with almost the same outcome! I got a black pied, 2 chocolate pied, and a splash :)

Agree! They do look like call ducks and that one looks to be a splash (diluted blue).

Who did you get eggs from? I hatched some that I bought and ended up with almost the same outcome! I got a black pied, 2 chocolate pied, and a splash :)
I can't remember the woman's name or farm name but I do remember she's a from Hiawatha, KS.

Back
Top Bottom