Can anyone tell me what Silva is?

PerfectPlumage

Chirping
May 2, 2015
Somewhere off with my birds.
I can't figure out what my only black pullet, Silva, is. I kept thinking she's one breed then realizing she looks more like another. I have figured out what all my other's are, but not her. All the other black chicks I had died of Mereks, she's the only survivor. She has a very small single comb. Her comb is peach and black in color, just saying so because you can't see her comb very well in the pic.

She looks like either an Australorp or a black Jersey Giant, depending on the color of the bottoms of her feet. Australorps have white/grey skin on the bottoms of their feet. Giants have yellow.

Lots of people get a bit freaked out by the "Giant' part, because they thought they had Australorps. Then you tell them that they instead have Jersey Giants, and they get worried that the hens are going to be too big to be good layers and that they will eat too much. It's seems like there always ends up being a follow up post explaining that they won't be huge, they won't eat any more than the other birds, and they will still lay lots, and lots of big brown eggs.
Mine happens to be a pretty petite girl at about 5 pounds. She is a very dedicated broody while sitting, but a very inattentive mom once the chicks hatch.

Lots of people get a bit freaked out by the "Giant' part, because they thought they had Australorps. Then you tell them that they instead have Jersey Giants, and they get worried that the hens are going to be too big to be good layers and that they will eat too much. It's seems like there always ends up being a follow up post explaining that they won't be huge, they won't eat any more than the other birds, and they will still lay lots, and lots of big brown eggs.
Mine happens to be a pretty petite girl at about 5 pounds. She is a very dedicated broody while sitting, but a very inattentive mom once the chicks hatch.
Okay, thanks.

It appears to me that your pullet may have some brown feathering on her back. Am I really seeing it or is it just an optical illusion caused by the light (or by my imagination)? :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom