Can anyone tell me what this is??

CWDancer

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013

My cat caught it by the chicken coop, which makes me a bit nervous to say the least! Is it a mink? We live about a half mile from the river and have a creek running through our property at the bottom of the hill.

Under the chin and neck area it is white, the rest of it is black and has beautiful fur.
Thanks
Diane

Last edited:
Last edited:
Looks like a young mink to me. Adult males and females are usually bigger than that. They can be pretty nasty when they are threatened so good thing you have a bad a** cat!! Lol

Weasels dont' have fur like that, mink for sure.
Thanks Tara, I changed the post above before I saw your comment to show the link sunflour was talking about, and theres a picture of a mink on that link. Looks just like it so I know its a mink.
Diane

I also agree that it must be a young one which says that you may well have a family nearby. You might check into traps and security for minks. Good luck and give that feline a treat!!!

@CWDancer Make sure you explore for any opening of 1" , reports show they can squeeze thru those, climb as well as a cat, and dig as well as a dog. 1/2" hardware cloth buried around the perimeter under those rocks would be a good idea. If the steel is inside a fence then they might be able to climb above and enter, if outside do ya think they jump as well? I have witnessed squirrels jump about 3 feet up a tree trunk and bet those minks can too.

Do set some traps at night to see if you can catch more - of course ones that cannot harm kitty.

Congrats to the great hunter CAT - could I borrow her? I have an excess of squirrels and chipmunks I would love to lose.

Good luck and hope the mink issue doesn't pose any loses, and the Cat keeps hunting.

Back
Top Bottom