Can anyone tell me why are my 7 week old doing this

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Hello, When I went to the Chicklet Inn to night to put my chicks in for the night they where piled up in the corner, not all but most of them about 23 of the 26. I asked my son who put them in last night if they did this, he said yes. Are they cold or scared ? I'm new to chickens maybe it's normal. They are 7 weeks old they havn't had a light for 3 weeks only if temps went down in the 40's, The coop is insulated windows are closed, vented at the top front and back about
2 " X 14" wide gap with screen all across 6 feet front and back wall of the coop and 6 feet high from the floor in the front 41/2 feet from the floor in the back. I did put some straw in tonight, they have had shavings about 3" thick. Tonights temp is 58-60 degrees.

Jody

Mine piled up at eight weeks when it wasn't cold, I think they just tend toward that sometimes, but if it's getting into the 40s, I'd guess they're probably cold. Unless they're silkies, then they're just being silkies at any age. lol

They will pile up and gather in one place to sleep. If your temps are getting to the 40's I would say it is a combination of natural behaviors and a bit chilly and they are staying warm to sleep.

If they get chilled for an extended period that can get sick and it can be fatal if they can't shake it.

I would advise adding a little heat, see how they react. If they spread out under the light then you know for sure it is cold to them.

If they do pile up due to the cold they can also smother one and other from crowding in too tight.

I have large fowl orpingtons. they temp to feather in slow. It really cool weather I have had to keep heat for up to 12 weeks. They can't control their body temps if they do not have a full body covering mature feathers.

My chickens are now 4 1/2 months old. As little ones, they would pretty much pile in the corner of the box. And it wasnt cold- in fact, it was pretty hot. They sleep on roosts now, but still in a pile. I'm not sure how they do it. Here is a picture of their setup ( Their real coop is not finished yet. They are still in the shed). This isn't all of them though- there are 4 more who aren't in bed yet. They all end up squished against the wall. Every night I try to count them, and I just can't because they are 1 big blob.

shed2.jpg

There is a possibility yours are cold. But they might just be 1 big happy family. I was going to suggest what Miss Prissy did- to add a little heat and see what happens.

I'd just put a 100W in one corner...shouldn't get too hot with enough space and vents...I keep the light on mine until 12 weeks and they are standards. I figure if you give them the opportunity they will decide if they need it or not
smile.png

(The roosting pics are cute! hope they don't poop on each others heads
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom