Can babies eat...

Crow-ded house

Songster
May 2, 2016
Bartlesville, OK
I feed my older girls and boys greens occasionally and wondered if I put some spinach or mustard, collards or turnip greens in with my week old newbies could they eat that or should we just stick with crumble?

Foster's Freehold

Songster
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
South Central KY
They need grit before they get greens. Toss a clump of dirt in the brooder, it will keep them entertained, they will pick out any grit or bugs, and it starts innoculating their immune system.
I have been sprinkling grit in since they were just a few days old, and a few greens here and there. They are 5ish weeks old now, out in the coop (in their own wire crates), with grit sprinkled a couple of times a week. I give a morning feed, afternoon greens, evening feed, nighttime scratch or greens or fruit/veg. That way, they have something to scratch around for in the early am until I get out there with feed.

Farmer Connie

Gallus gallus domesticus
Feb 28, 2017
Florida Peninsula
My Coop
My Coop
Keep them on a high protein diet. They are in the developmental stage of their lives. Starter crumble is loaded with protein and nutrients beneficial for optimum growth/development & health. They have plenty of time later to eat the green stuff. Right now the green stuff will full up their tummies and they won't eat as much starter. :confused::frow

Top Bottom