can baby survive alone?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thebanthams, Dec 23, 2011.

1. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I am new to hatching chickens in an home made incubator. Out of 12 eggs I will have one chicken hatch after Christmas. will the baby chicken survive alone? [​IMG]:oops: I will have more chickies, but will not hatch for another few weeks. [​IMG]

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Just baby the little one. Put her with a fuzzy teddy or a real feather duster to hide in and or put her in the incubate for bits at a time to wait for her sisters and chickmates to hatch. its interesting to see the pipping and how the other babies are interested in watching it happen too. My wife had and apron with pockets she walked around with the a few of the kids at a time with. Those were the ones by the way that jumped into our laps when older. Too cute. Be patient and remember 85 the first week 80 the 2nd week 75 the 3rd and drop 5 degrees each week until fully feathered or about week 7. Best of luck and Happy Holidays [​IMG]

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    He might be a little lonely, but you say you have others hatching soon afterwards, so it should be okay. [​IMG]
    Like Steve said, spend a lot of time with it, that way if it doesn't "fit in" with the others it's got you to take care of it. [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Trying to find another chick or two somewhere will make it easier on you and the chick.

5. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I had one lone Lav split silkie chick hatch from 29, yes! I said 29 shipped eggs...poor baby, I tried her with every new batch of chicks she just never fit in.
    I was her constant companion until!....I got a trio. two Lav and one split silikie bunch. I let her meet them and she was like....MY PEOPLE!!!!!...lol
    she refused to come out, took a butt whoopin like a big dawg to fit in and to this day that's is where she fits [​IMG]
    Chickens are just odd like that when they find where they fit...they just fit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by