can baby survive alone?

thebanthams

Songster
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Safford, Arizona
I am new to hatching chickens in an home made incubator. Out of 12 eggs I will have one chicken hatch after Christmas. will the baby chicken survive alone?
hu.gif
:oops: I will have more chickies, but will not hatch for another few weeks.
bow.gif

Just baby the little one. Put her with a fuzzy teddy or a real feather duster to hide in and or put her in the incubate for bits at a time to wait for her sisters and chickmates to hatch. its interesting to see the pipping and how the other babies are interested in watching it happen too. My wife had and apron with pockets she walked around with the a few of the kids at a time with. Those were the ones by the way that jumped into our laps when older. Too cute. Be patient and remember 85 the first week 80 the 2nd week 75 the 3rd and drop 5 degrees each week until fully feathered or about week 7. Best of luck and Happy Holidays
big_smile.png

He might be a little lonely, but you say you have others hatching soon afterwards, so it should be okay.
big_smile.png

Like Steve said, spend a lot of time with it, that way if it doesn't "fit in" with the others it's got you to take care of it.
wink.png

I had one lone Lav split silkie chick hatch from 29, yes! I said 29 shipped eggs...poor baby, I tried her with every new batch of chicks she just never fit in.
I was her constant companion until!....I got a trio. two Lav and one split silikie bunch. I let her meet them and she was like....MY PEOPLE!!!!!...lol
she refused to come out, took a butt whoopin like a big dawg to fit in and to this day that's is where she fits
smile.png

Chickens are just odd like that when they find where they fit...they just fit.

Back
Top Bottom