Can bantams and large fowl live together in the same coop and run?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicmom, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Howdy!

I've got two separate coops. One is my small 6x6 A-frame, the banty coop, with 5 banties. Then I've got the big hen house, which has 6 large fowl chickens and two turkeys in there. It's plenty big. I was thinking, for winter, I wouldn't mind having them all in one coop, to make things a bit easier for me, as far as feeding and watering go, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

They do free range for a little bit together when I let them all out of their coops after work, but that's usually when I am outside with them, changing water and cleaning and feeding and such, each evening, so I'm there to keep an eye on them. The bigger ones are very curious, and sometimes they'll chase the little ones around at first, but then they lose interest after a bit.

I'm nervous about putting them together since the banties are relatively small. Do you think I should just forget about it and keep them separated?

Thanks for your help,
    Sharon

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i keep bantams and big hens together

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I keep my bantams seperated from my standards but mine dont free range. My standards think my bantams are aliens! [​IMG] Im just afraid they would hurt them so I dont take the chance. Up to you though. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    We have 8 bantams with the big girls. The little ones seem to know when to get out of the way.

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I keep my bantams and large fowl together in the same coop.
    They also all free range together.

The ONLY ones I separate are the Seramas.

[​IMG]

6. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Until a few weeks ago I would have said bantams and standards could live together no problem as I have done it in the past. I have standard girls who share a fence line with a flock of silkies and in the process of trying to slowly introduce the two groups thinking winter would be easier with everyone in one area my light brahma hen jumped one of my silkies and knocked her out. I thought she was dead but after a rushed visit to the vet she wound up being ok but I will not be putting them together this winter. I think if your bantams can "see" well enough to interact and establish a hierarchy in the group they should be ok but keep a close eye on them!!

7. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    my banties and standards all live together... in happy harmony!!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have bantams and standards together but my d'Uccles are by themselves with a couple of bantam cochins as I have discovered they are quite timid and don't get enough time at the feeder even with MULTIPLE feeders. [​IMG]

But who knows for winter I just might put them all back together again for the safety of the d'Uccles and warmth.

9. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    My bantams (OEGB) chase my LF (Buff Orpingtons) around, even the little roos chase the big roo when he tries to breed the LF girls! [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have 7 bantams (4 silkies, 2 Sebrights, 1 OEGB) in with the other 66 large fowl. I have one silkie cockerel, four Orp cockerels and four Wyandotte cockerels in that mix of 66, too. I do keep my bantam Cochins separate because they are special.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by