Can Baytril work this quickly?

JayDee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
5 days ago, our pol Araucana, Blanche, had an impacted crop. We managed to get that sorted and then she started sneezing and gurgling. I've decided since she wasn't eating, she must have got run down and got a respiratory infection. We tried to just keep her warm, etc and feed her but today she was so poorly I went to the vet and got baytril.

She was lethargic and sneezing, even wheezing a bit. She kept falling asleep all the time. Outside with the rest, she would sit absolutely still and not interact with the others. She'd look at food and then look away, probably falling asleep.

I didn't want to give an antibiotic because I was worried it could cause sour crop after her crop problem. And she's gone very skinny.

Within hours of her dose she appeared better than she has in days. She was pecking at the ground and scratching with the rest of them. Her tail was up and her neck wasn't all hunched up. When I looked in at bedtime, she was even roosting, which she hasn't done in quite some time.

Is it possible it worked that quickly? Or is this wishful thinking?

She's the loveliest, maddest hen around. She'd be terribly missed!

What are your experiences?

I had a duck with a sinus infection and took her to the vet.
After 1 dose of Baytril suspension, I did notice a marked change in her.
That Baytril is the bees knees, in my opinion.

She's still good this morning. I'm rather worried her second dose is going to be tricker to give than the first!

I should have done this days ago!

Quote:
I'm glad she still seems to be doing well.
Baytril is a good antibiotic to have on hand-IF you can get it.

IF she had a bacterial infection, and the bacteria is susceptible to baytril (enrofloxacin) - yes, she could start to feel better after one dose. Be cautious using this drug in food- producing animals (ie laying hens, or meat birds). If you are in the states- It is on FARAD's prohibited list for food animals including poultry (ie illegal to prescribe). Many vets avoid it in food animals, as it is technically illegal- not just the typical off label. Your vet may not know, or chooses to do it anyway and has hopefully gone over the pros vs cons of the med with you.

Baytril can work very quickly when used against susceptible pathogens. It also has some side effects that must be watched and can be very debillitating to a dehydrated animal. Be sure it is prescribed by a vet for your specific problem or the cure can be worse the the disease.

Quote:
IF the infection wasn't susceptible to Baytril, it wouldn't respond.
Baytril is a widely used veterinarian antibiotic that has pros and cons, much as any other veterinary antibiotic.
All antibiotics have some form of withdrawal period for food/food production animals, as do wormers.

I agree with you in concept, but my main point is that baytril is actually prohibited when used off label in food animals. It is actually illegal to prescribe it to poultry. The point needs to be made, so people can have the information to choose to use or not. It is on label for dogs & used off label for lots of other species in the veterinary profession. There is a difference between using off label and using a prohibited or illegal to prescribe medication. Withdrawal time for a prohibited or illegal drug if you ask FARAD or the FDA would be for life.
Most off label drugs do not have published withdrawal times, so people make guesses. Sometimes educated guesses based on other species or based on knowledge of metabolism or reproduction cycles, or knowledge of other drugs in the same class- but if the data does not exist or has not been made available to the public, then withdrawal times are just guesses. Like most of the drugs people use off label in their chickens. There is more data on meat & milk available, but very little for eggs.

Quote:
IF the infection wasn't susceptible to Baytril, it wouldn't respond.
Baytril is a widely used veterinarian antibiotic that has pros and cons, much as any other veterinary antibiotic.
All antibiotics have some form of withdrawal period for food/food production animals, as do wormers.

Hi

it's worked a treat. As far as it being not allowed in the US -- it's still used widely worldwide.

Blanche is not laying yet at any rate and we're unlikely to want to eat her (seeing as she's almost starved to death!)

Local vets say it's the standard anti-biotic for poultry here. (Ireland)

Back
Top Bottom