Can Big ducks and little ducks share space

Appyfoot

Chirping
Oct 29, 2021
I have three two months old call ducks inside (too hot to transition). Outside I have an older Blue swedish, and three roughly one year olds: a magpie, a Welsh harlequin and a silver Apple Yard. I was only intending on keeping one of the call ducks however I was just informed that she will probably not get any bigger than she is now. can she safely live with the bigger ducks? (If so I will be adding platforms that only she can reach by flying). Their day run is roughly 10 ft by 10 ft and she would get her own coop for night time.

Picture attached shows the size of the two I wanted to sell
Screenshot_20230701-193406.png

I think 10x10 even with platforms is not enough space to put one little call duckling in with 4 large ducks (your breeds are not medium size they're large...) I wouldnt do that to her I think she'd get bullied/hurt .

I think 10x10 even with platforms is not enough space to put one little call duckling in with 4 large ducks (your breeds are not medium size they're large...) I wouldnt do that to her I think she'd get bullied/hurt .
Ok. That's why I was asking because I needed to know if I needed to keep one of her sisters (please reread I never referred to the outside girlies as medium breeds.)

Do you have any drakes or are all hens? I wouldn't think having them together would be a problem with all girls, but I don't have calls (only ducklings). I also free range my ducks and have a hard time picturing any ducks in such a small area.

My experience with call ducks is they have been the bullies not my other ducks. My little call duck jumped on my muscovy drake and ran off like a giggle little girl that got away with something bad. She picked a lot of fights with my other ducks, and they didn't know how to fight back against an ankle biter. She has since mellowed out, but my call duck drake is now a problem. He goes after my biggest girls. They are small but very feisty! I know others with similar experiences with call ducks too.

The only issue I can see if any of your other ducks are a drake. He could cause problems for your call duck and injure her.

Ok. That's why I was asking because I needed to know if I needed to keep one of her sisters (please reread I never referred to the outside girlies as medium breeds.)
Oh yah I know that , I was just thinking about how much bigger they are than a call duck. , I don’t have any calls, I have 13 ducks , all girlies as well, but no calls, so I’m no expert about them in particular. I think if the space was bigger It would help for them to all be able to get away from each other when there are squabbles… Anytime, a new bird comes in the pecking order has to be reestablished.

Do you have any drakes or are all hens? I wouldn't think having them together would be a problem with all girls, but I don't have calls (only ducklings). I also free range my ducks and have a hard time picturing any ducks in such a small area.
All females at the moment, eventually I want to get a call Drake but they also get several hours of free range during the day however I live in town and I'm not allowed to have them free range unless I am right there watching them.

I have Call Drakes and several large Hens. When I introduced them all together the Drakes were only 3 months old and all was well. That was last summer. This summer the feisty little Call Drakes tried to mount my big gals sometimes three on one so they all 4 went to Drake jail. One did get one of my gals though because I ended up having a Black Swedish half Call and half not sure what larger hen hatch out. My pen is very large, lots of places to hide and get away from each other too. My 4 boys stick together like glue and I call them the Mafia group because they are so bold. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with yours.

Back
Top Bottom