Can Black Spots on Eggs Be Cancerous?

What it looks like to me, is a calcium spot that absorbed a lot of pigment. if you scratch the spot, it will break off right down to the membrane. Not unusual, or unsafe to eat. just leave the spots as they are on the egg. If she does it often, it may indicate that she is last to feed. See where she is in pecking order. But really, it's usually nothing to worry about.
smile.png
First thank you for your response.

Ok, I know I could scratch the spot as she has had small/tiny spots I could pick at, but in four days this spot ate through the eggshell and ended up on the membrane. Thats what I was concerned about. She is low on the pecking order, I dont know how low as the 3 BA's stick together and the 4 GSL are always chasing them away when its feed time, treat time and just in general. I was hoping the pictures I took showed the hole it made in the shell. They also have free feed oyster shell.

First thank you for your response.

Ok, I know I could scratch the spot as she has had small/tiny spots I could pick at, but in four days this spot ate through the eggshell and ended up on the membrane. Thats what I was concerned about. She is low on the pecking order, I dont know how low as the 3 BA's stick together and the 4 GSL are always chasing them away when its feed time, treat time and just in general. I was hoping the pictures I took showed the hole it made in the shell. They also have free feed oyster shell.

Lemme see if I can try to explain. The spot where the extra calcium was deposited, may have happened before or as the actual shell was being formed. So it's basically a weak spot that compromised the making of, and strength of the shell. Remember that the egg is inside a tract with pressure all around during it's journey. This softer, improperly formed spot was able to absorb a lot of pigment, that's all it is, pigment. It is not surprising then, that the spot sunk into the membrane, there was actually no proper shell material under it. Still, not unsafe or unusual especially for a low ranking hen who may be filling up on what is left in the feeder after everyone else eats. Oyster shell is one of those left overs. Try adding another feed station so the lesser birds have a chance at a better diet.
smile.png

Lemme see if I can try to explain. The spot where the extra calcium was deposited, may have happened before or as the actual shell was being formed. So it's basically a weak spot that compromised the making of, and strength of the shell. Remember that the egg is inside a tract with pressure all around during it's journey. This softer, improperly formed spot was able to absorb a lot of pigment, that's all it is, pigment. It is not surprising then, that the spot sunk into the membrane, there was actually no proper shell material under it. Still, not unsafe or unusual especially for a low ranking hen who may be filling up on what is left in the feeder after everyone else eats. Oyster shell is one of those left overs. Try adding another feed station so the lesser birds have a chance at a better diet.
smile.png

Thank you again for your information, I understand now what your saying. We do have two feed stations just because of the more aggressive GSLs, and we keep those feeders full, but doesnt stop 'em from running them off, The BAs are pretty smart, they dart around and still work their way back in. But yes they dont get the best pickings. Thanks again justplainbatty
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom