Can border collies live with silkies and silkie chicks?

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
You may know that I lost my dog recently
sad.png

I am looking at a border collie, because we need protection against burglars, and am wondering whether they are a good choice for silkies and chicks. I can devote some of my time to it, but not all, and am looking at gettign an older dog from the RSPCA
smile.png

Any experience or wisdom from previous owners?

I don't want to take the risk and lose my flock

Thanks
smile.png

This is our border collie Hannah - she came to us as an adult in Oct. 2008. She was a rescue from a high kill animal shelter, brought to Reno and placed into a home. The home did not work out - she fought with their dogs, dug holes in the backyard, ate, yes ATE the sheetrock from the garage walls, ate a forklift seat - rugs, shoes, boots. Afraid she was going to be put to sleep, we were asked to foster her. From the day she got here, she has not worn a collar. She hunts rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice, vole, moles...............she adores the chickens, chicks, ducks, geese and horses. She gets along famously with our dogs.

When we leave for town, Hannah and the Corso Cristo are left loose with the fowl - who are also loose on the property.

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

I don't have one personally, but a farmer friend brought their's over when they came to pick up some tack. The dog jumped out of the car and went over to the chicken yard and lay down with her back to them. Apparently she guards poultry, whether or not they belong to her owners!

Not something I would try.

Guard dog? No. Uh uh.

Not-eat-chicken-dog? No. Not without some very very diligent training, or a whole lot of luck.

What happens with herding dogs is that the herding instinct, without some very, very firm and diligent training, goes very quickly from guarding/herding to chasing/eating.

Yes, some people have posted about their wonderful border collies who don't eat their chickens.

So what. Doesn't prove yours will.

A border collie seems like a rather odd choice to me for a *guard dog*. Although if you have it live outdoors all the time and it doesn't roam too far it might at least let you know someone is around.

And trying an older adopted dog with silkies strikes me as a great big kick-me sign. Not that you mightn't luck into a dog who *happens* to have abnormally low instinct to harass or eat them, or who *happens* to be easily retrained, but if you want an older dog you are likely to get "set" habits and the habits you're looking for are not the kind that typically "set" in border collies
tongue.png

If you want indoors protection, get something little and yappy and make sure it is always fenced away from the birds (unless it turns out to be retrainable to ignore them). If you want outdoors protection, look for something big and black (which tend to linger in shelters/rescues *anyway*) with your big criterion not being breed or appearance but rather just "likely to be really, really safe with small animals".

JMHO,

Pat

It doesn't so much depend on the breed as it does the dog, especially if you are getting an older one. This is my dog Keegan, he never even saw a chicken until he was at least 3.

31045_imgp4356.jpg

He is a german shepherd/beagle mix, but he has a very submissive and laid back personality, so not a guard dog, if someone broke in he would go hide in his kennel. A dog that is going to be a good "guard dog" but also not go after your chickens is probably a dog you are going to have to raise from a puppy. I lucked out with Keegan, but that’s what it was luck. You are risking a lot by bringing in an adult dog from a shelter into your home. Shelter dogs have issues, that is why they are there (for the most part), you have to be prepared for what ever quirk they come with. Sometimes those quirks are what make them an awesome pet and other times it makes them a nightmare.
smile.png
I would know I worked at a no-kill shelter for years.

All the dogs I have pre-date my chickens and livestock, but going forward, if I get another dog it will either be a puppy or a dog that has lived and been trained on a farm previously.

imho the breed has a lot to do with it. Let alone the upbringing.

I have a Coliie/lab cross. The collie wants to protect an secure, and the lab wants to bring them back
wink.png
(j.k)

imho it's as much a myth that dogs hate cats, as dogs eat your own "packs" flock. That doesn't speak for your neighbours though
smile.png
OR the fact that dogs and cats have fun chasing each other around (metephoricaly speaking)

If the chhoks are not recognised as part of the pack, they're potential food, though... jmho

Quote:
Thanks, she is 100% BC - according to the little dna test thing-ama-bob.
idunno.gif

We have a heeler also - fantastic with any animal - he is 15.

The Corso also came here as an adult - no problem with any of our "pack" no matter if it is parrots (who are free to fly around the house), chickens, chicks, ducks, geese and horses.

Back
Top Bottom