Can brahmas be introduced into a 2 month old flock of silkies?

JJGL

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2018
I am thinking about getting 3 brahmas and i already have 4 2 month old silkies. Do you think that those two breeds could do okay? how old should the brahmas be when i introduce them? how would you suggest introducing them?

A lot of it will depend on the age of the brahmas that you're introducing. If I were you, I would try to get brahmas that are pretty young, or at least not older than two months. There are a couple of ways that you could introduce them. Personally, I like to keep them separated at first, but so that they can see each other. After one to two weeks, I'll let them all out in the yard together and keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get too aggressive. After a couple times of doing that, I'll put them all away in the same pen. If it doesn't look like it's going to work out, I separate them again and keep trying.

Another great method (which is a lot simpler) is to go out when it's completely dark and all the chickens are roosting, and put the new ones up in the roost with the old ones. They work out their roost quarrels and in the morning when they wake up, there's usually not too many problems.

Overall, I think it can be done. I have seramas that live with standard sized chickens, no problem. Size isn't always an issue. I would just really keep an eye on them for the first couple of days of being together to make sure there aren't any serious problems. And always have a backup space that you can put any troublemakers in, or ones that are getting picked on a lot. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom