Can bumble foot cause paralysis symptoms?

Microchick thank you for the very helpful information! We ended up getting some more of the hard yellow 'puss' out and ended the session with cleaning it with saline and packing it with 3 antibiotics ointment and wrapping it up well.

I will see if we can get some ingestion antibiotics, she does not sit like a normal chicken, she keeps tipping forward or to her side, she seems very tired. Could this be cause by the infection?

She can definitely move her legs, but 0 balance on them standing or sitting.

Yeah, the swelling is the dead give away along with the redness that she has a secondary infection going on. If you want to give her some relief from pain you can pop a baby aspiring down her beak until you can get some antibiotics on board. I'd also be tempting her with some scrambled eggs and yogurt along with some electrolytes for her water. If you got some hard pus out of the wound you are on the right path. I've dug around and found the foreign body that they have stepped on embedded in a wad of hard pus. Amazing how their bodies try to compensate. I think the poor dear just feels like CARP right now. Don't give up on her. Even if you have to eyedropper her with electrolyte water, stick with it. She needs the fluids more than the food right now, but even my sickest birds have never turned away scrambled eggs.

2 great minds with the same thought, ehhh @penny1960;)

Thanks alot for the input! We did a 2nd session of giving her a bath in salt and letting everything soften up some more.

A small incision and a good push and a massive chunk of hard 'puss' came out and it started to bleed right away, so I think its all out now. We did the whole 3 antibiotics again, gauze and wrapped it up well. She is still unable to stand... she won't move around.

When we performed the small surgery I noticed yellow small bugs on her, ughhh! Lice? I ran out to the coop and checked another chicken, same thing... oh man.

They have been lazy with dust baths as it's been wet out and colder, and they don't seem to like my covered dust bath as much i have made for them this summer with peat moss, play sand, Damescious earth hence the infestation now.

I will have to clean out the coop, find a spray and spray the whole coop and all chickens to kill the bugs off next weekend...

The hen is booked for an appointment with the vet tomorrow, she needs some oral antibiotics as she has barely eaten anything today and has not drank much either, her condition seems to worsen.

Well, that answers the question of why she is acting so weak. She's possibly anemic from the parasite infestation.

Good pick up and good job on the foot. I had a feeling there was more 'goodies' to be found there. Usually bleeding means you have gotten it all out. That should make her feel better at least.

Yea i only realized as I have had a crawling sensation the last couple of days and eventually discovered a bug on me today! Waahhhh. Its from handling her once I looked at her, how gross.

I covered her in DE now i hope it helps, is there a liquid spray i can use in my whole coop/on chickens to kill the bugs/eggs?

The poor chicken cant even sit properly after all this surery, she is just laying on her side, exhausted, tired, not drinking or eating today.

Ok i will go look for a spray, does every inch of the bird have to be covered in the spray, or will just a bit get rid of the bugs?

I did cook her some scrambled eggs this morning which she did not want to eat, she still has those left over. We just force fed her some yoghurt which she barley wanted.

Back
Top Bottom