Can Bumblefoot in duck, affect chickens? Eat eggs

wannabfarmgirl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
I commented to another thread in the meat bird section, but thought it might fit best here...

I'm still fairly new to the duck / chicken world (1 year of chickens, 7 months of ducks). One of my ducks has bumblefoot. I isolated her yesterday, cleaned both feet very well, pulled off scabs (two out of three had pus attached to the scabs, but what looked like fresh meat under). Although - her sore foot, the middle toe is swollen up to her ankle, I was hestitant to "operate" since the meat looked pink under the scab, and I haven't given antibiotics yet...need to try to find some in town (didn't dawn on me until this, that I should have a "first aid kit" for the birds). But - there has got to be something in there, with all that swelling.

I didn't realize this was Staph at the time...I'm 5 months pregnant, so am trying to be extra cautious...I used to work in ICU, and the word Staph always freaks me out (I know - MRSA is way different that regular staph, but still!)

In the thread I read, some folks said they would not eat the eggs or the meat. (I originally got the ducks for meat purposes, but named them...not the thing to do if you want to eat them, ha!). With Staph, I definitely won't be eating her. I just didn't know about the eggs...is it safe?

My big question is - our chicken coop is downhill from the ducks (didn't think about this when we built it!) - so, when I drain their pool, the chicken coop has a flood of running in front of it (never in it - but in front of it) that the chickens walk through when free ranging. Is it possible for them to become infected by the water????? I know bumblefoot is not contagious, but the staph is what has caught my attention....I'm I being overly concerned??

I don't know, those are some really good questions. Foot issues in ducks are *extremely* common, including infections, and what you are describing does indeed sound like bumble foot. I probably would be reluctant to eat the meat or eggs in a bird with an active severe infection. It may not be a big deal, but I am not sure I would risk it, especially being pregnant. I did find this on one website...

"Food poisoning – Staph is a common bacteria that can cause food poisoning. The toxins produced from the food contaminated with Staph may cause a person to start vomiting within1 to 12 hours of the food being eaten. Soiled hands and spoiled food are the sources of Staph in food. Cooking the food does not kill Staph. Food poisoning is caused by a toxin in the wall of the bacteria, which is not destroyed by high heat."
http://www.preventinfection.org/Content/NavigationMenu3/InformationCenter/Staphaureus/default.htm

I
don't know how legit that site is as I just glanced over the info, but you can probably find more by digging a little more. As far as the risk to the chickens from the runoff, I don't know how much direct risk there is in the duck's infected foot contaminating the chickens per se. There definitely could be an indirect risk though from all the contaminants in the dirty duck water. Whatever caused the infection in the duck, could do the same in the chickens. I have hardly ever had foot problems in my chickens, but I don't house them together for these very reasons. Ducks are quite simply very dirty animals.

Thanks for the link and the information! (Hey, by-the-way...I think we communicated awhile back (last year) - our ducks are "siblings" so to speak
smile.png
)

I'll need to think about this and next steps. The ducks are always in the pond when not in "lock down", and unless they are penned up, that's where their eggs go too (grrrrr), which happens to be above our garden. Which - is where the eggs in the water always end up....my son loves to "fish" for them, and practice his throw.

I see a little researching in my future...sigh.

I thought your screen name was really familiar! I ended up not keeping those WH. Wifezilla and Dances with Ducks both got some of them and then some went to an avian vet here. They were so beautiful, but I decided to really focus on my bantam ducks and just keep a few types of large breeds.

I hope all works out with your birds. I have had some that lay in the water too. Isn't it annoying? That is ducks for you! Congrats on the baby too.
smile.png

bumble foot can be with any fowl
it is caused by the fowl jumping off a roost or where ever it resides at night on to a sharp object
such as rocks and hard clods of dirt
it is a bruise of the foot pad

I would keep the effected bumble footed birds locked up by themsleves so as you can put iodine straight on the sore till it heals from the inside out

as for eating the eggs I never had any problem with that
but to be sure just discard the eggs to the dogs for food
when the sore is healed they won't have staph then

is there no other way to reroute the dirty water from getting to where the chickens are?

that to me is a mistake on planing
it is not good for chickens to be in dirty water any way
I would dig a ditch to route the water away from the chicken pen

healthy chickens do not need to drink dirty water or be standing in it and getting wet.

I may have made it sound confusing - just to clarify - the chicken are not in dirty water. They rarely free range since a hawk got one in the Fall. However - the weather has be BEAUTIFUL, and they love getting out, so - I've been letting them out when I'm working in the yard. The ducks came after the chickens, and it was poor planning on my part - the water from their pool runs down hill in front of the coop - not IN the coop. The chickens have fresh water, but love to play in the water. Also - the water is only running down the hill when I'm cleaning out the pool (depending on how much the ducks are in the pond version the pen, every few days). However - I don't want to take any chances on any of my girls getting sick. I know Staph is everywhere, but just want to take some extra precautions.

CityChicker - thanks. My WH are doing great! It's my poor Khaki Campbell hen that's having the problems. She is currently in a pen on the porch - her drake keeps trying to get up the nerve to come see what all of the fuss is about, but then runs back off to the pond. And you have that right - ducks are nasty little creatures. My husband refuses to get anymore, even thought I have an incubator on my wish list
smile.png
Bonnie (my KC hen) is still not using her foot, but seems in good spirits....we shall see....

Hi, I just wanted to give an update. I have a hen with a case of bumblefoot. We took her to the vet and he told us that the infection would not affect her eggs and that they were safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom