1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can button quails live outside?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FF, Jun 17, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. I am wanting to start raising some buttons from eggs. Was wanting to know if I can raise them out side after they are old enough or do they have to be inside? Thanks for any replys. FF

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    My buttons are outside. Just make sure they have proper ventilation, shade, fresh water and food [​IMG]

3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:Mine are outside too, the only thing I would add is like a little house in the cage

4. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Ok. Thanks a bunch to both of you. I will make a 3 sided cage for them and i the winter when it gets in the teens i will get some plastic and put over the 4th side.Thanks everybody.

5. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    If your temperatures get in the teens in winter they will need far more than plastic on the open side.
    Chinese Blue Breasted Quail aka Button Quail originated in Southern China and Indonesia. They
    cannot tolerate teens and single digit temperatures.
    The two that responded to your original post are from warm climates.

David

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I just got some chicks off a guy yesterday that also raises button quail and he told me they stay outside all the time I live in Pa. so it gets cold here but I would check into this more, better safe than sorry. Good luck.

7. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Ok. Thanks to you all. If David lives in Virginia then he gets an idea of the weather. But if you live in Pennsylvania then thats pretty cold. I'm in Tennessee so I will read more into it. Thanks to you all.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  8. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    I live in Tn also and my button quail stay outside all winter in a well protected, non heated pen.

9. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Oh. Then I guess I'm in the clear then. Glad I have somebody from Tennessee that keeps theirs outside. Thanks poultry lady

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    During the day I put my Buttons outside on a table under the porch, and at night I bring them inside for the night. They don't stink at all. ( Not like chickens! lol )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by