Can button quails live outside?

If you are wanting to get lots of eggs I would recommend Coturnix Quail because they are a little more hardy and lay a few more eggs than the Button Quail.
smile.png

If you are wanting to get lots of eggs I would recommend Coturnix Quail because they are a little more hardy and lay a few more eggs than the Button Quail.
smile.png
Coturnix and button quail will lay the same number of eggs each year or really close to it, unless your button has gone broody. The difference between the two is size. A coturnix is about 5-7 times larger than a button quail. Button quail eggs are so tiny as to be worth eating, so when people keep them it is typically for their appearance.

What about the upper range for temperature? I am in North-Central florida- Winter it rarely gets below freezing. but in he summer it can be beastly hot. Right now (Mid-June) it is averaging 86-89 degrees. I have 6 adorable "biddies", (Buttons) about 2 months old, and can't keep them inside.

How can I keep them comfortable? The north side of the yard is fully-exposed. South side is shady, but Is too close to the neighbors for poultry, according to the law) . Forget west- the birds would bake! East side therefore is my only option. Gets direct sun for about 4 hours.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I live in upstate NY and was just given 2 buttons. (Palenville, NY ) Can I keep them outside as well.
It gets pretty cold here in winter, but I put a heat lamp out for the other small quails. Little worried that they hog the lamp. Thanks for any help.

Buttons do not do well at all below 45* and shouldn't even be kept at that temp for too long. They are from a much warmer climate that we experience in most of the US. It really is best to keep them inside especially in areas that get snow and extreme cold snaps.

Well.. I got my buttons at the end of February this year. Usually the worst part of the winter is over by then, so I haven't actually had buttons in a true, Danish winter yet. However, there is a quite official Danish guide available on keeping buttons and coturnix. And this guide says - translated: "Both species are very hardy and can be kept outside all year, as long as they have access to a covered shelter of, for instance, spruce branches". Now, Danish winters can get quite cold - temperatures around 0 F are not uncommon at night. But I have also seen Danish sources saying they should be kept frost-free.. But I haven't seen anyone saying "this is what I have experienced and that is why I say this temperature", so I don't know how much I trust these sources. However, I know that it is common to keep them in greenhouses all year in Denmark. They might get quite warm when the sun hits them, but they hardly offer much isolation against the cold at night. So I actually do believe that - at least the Danish strains of buttons - can handle freezing temperatures, if sheltered. But leaving them in the middle of a field, with a few spruce branches, might not work ^^
Anyway, I'll soon find out. It won't be long before we start having frost at night every now and then. And then winter will be upon us. I have most of my buttons in an old, unheated, un-isolated barn and expect to keep them there all winter. Guess I'll leave a thermometer there when it gets really cold, and ask my dad to check it early in the morning. I expect them to deal with whatever temp. it shows, as long as they are in the barn, but I might get a flock of sneezing birds or whatever on my hands, should I be wrong..

Thank you so much for your re-confirmation on this. My hubby says they will be fine under a lamp with the others. I say not!

What about the upper range for temperature? I am in North-Central florida- Winter it rarely gets below freezing. but in he summer it can be beastly hot. Right now (Mid-June) it is averaging 86-89 degrees. I have 6 adorable "biddies", (Buttons) about 2 months old, and can't keep them inside.

How can I keep them comfortable? The north side of the yard is fully-exposed. South side is shady, but Is too close to the neighbors for poultry, according to the law) . Forget west- the birds would bake! East side therefore is my only option. Gets direct sun for about 4 hours.

Suggestions?
I kept a pair of buttons outside for a couple of years and they even raised a clutch of chicks. I live in one of the hottest places on earth so there is a piece of cake. Deep shade, places to hide where they can have earth to dig into and plenty of water to drink and wade in will help. Buttons are tiny so can dehydrate quickly. Have more than once source of water in case one fails there will always be a back up source of water for them.

I'm in Massachusetts and it gets way to cold for Buttons to be outside in the winter so my Buttons live inside all year long. I use pine shavings and keep them clean so they don't smell. People often comment when they see my birdroom that there is no smell.

Thank you so much for the info. My son and I bought a pair at the auction and we had no clue How loud they would be in the house - like mini roosters - crazy- and squawk 3-4 times a night. I live in Canada - so I am thinking of having them outside for the summer, and bring them in in the fall. Wish me luck, will let you know how it goes. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom