Can chicken lice crawl on humans?

insmokesimage

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
In the past few weeks I have found 2 louse looking bugs on myself. I have checked my chickens and found lice on them. With all the research I have been doing, all say that lice are species specific. So, my question is can they still be found crawling on a human? I am out with my chickens alot and hold them frequently. This is really "buggin" me and also embarrassing. No one else in my house has seen them. Please help!!! What can I do?

I think its a good idea to treat the chook because the problem then goes away.

I don't think they will crawl onto you though unless the bird is really heavily infested because they usually try to get out of the light as soon as you part the feathers. They wouldn't want to leave their host for something less attractive.

Red mite on the other hand... now they have been known to jump species and infest peoples homes on occasions too.

I agree you need to treat the bird to rid the lice because it can and will eventually make the bird ill. I do believe they can occasionally jump to a human but won't infest you. but your bird needs your help to make it well. hope your treating them AND there housing and get clean bedding.. if you don't treat they will become ill. I wish you the best of luck ! get rid of those little buggers and your chickens will be much happier! best wishes

Back
Top Bottom