Can chickens and pigeons live together ?

If the chickens are shut in the run all day, you need to be sure they have shade from the sun, shelter from rain, food, water, nestboxes if they are laying--all the things they could usually go inside to get.

Yes they have all of that as it’s connected to a shed with food water bedding etc .

Is that the same shed you have pigeons in?

If you let the chickens out and then close the door to keep the pigeons in, that also keeps the chickens out.

Or do you mean you have several sheds? If so, I'm not sure why you want to put pigeons in with chickens at all. It's usually easier to provide the right conditions for different animals if you house them separately.

Is that the same shed you have pigeons in?

If you let the chickens out and then close the door to keep the pigeons in, that also keeps the chickens out.

Or do you mean you have several sheds? If so, I'm not sure why you want to put pigeons in with chickens at all. It's usually easier to provide the right conditions for different animals if you house them separately.
No it’s one shed not several . The shed has a large enclosure run attached to it with a galvanised roof . It has shelter form rain or sun and has food and nesting inside as well as the shed so they could still get back in but acces to the shed would be closed off until I opened it . I can section the shed off so that the pigeons and chickens are separate but I thought it would nice if they could be together . That’s why I am asking as this is new to me . I have had several private messages saying that people have chickens and pigeons together with no problems what so ever which is nice to know 😊

I have had several private messages saying that people have chickens and pigeons together with no problems what so ever which is nice to know
son you have the pigeons now? If nit, I would recommend waiting until you can build separate enclosures.

If you do already have pigeons, and are keeping them with chickens, I hope it works better for you than most others. :)

son you have the pigeons now? If nit, I would recommend waiting until you can build separate enclosures.

If you do already have pigeons, and are keeping them with chickens, I hope it works better for you than most others. :)
I do have the pigeons now but they are on their own in the shed at the min . My chickens are housed in another coop which we will get rid of once the new coop is all finished as it’s much bigger and my flock has grown in the last few months 😊

make sure the pigeons have lots of perches high up where the chickens cannot get them. also if possible a food and water dish up as well just incase the chickens hog the food. i think they’ll be fine together (if you have a covered run the pigeons could also go out at day)

I have my 2 silkie chickens in the same indoor aviary with my doves who have had lots of babies and my Frillback pigeons and they all seem to get along well.
The chickens stay on the ground and have their nesting boxes and the doves and pigeons stick to higher boxes and perches. They all come to the ground when I put out the feed and share space at the feeding trough.
Once the doves hatched the babies didn't leave the nest until they were old enough to fly around and the chickens didn't seem to care about them.
So far (2 years) so good

I’ve kept them together for years. As long as the pigeons have adequate perch space of their own and the chickens don’t keep the pigeons away from food and water, they should be perfectly happy. Matter of fact, I’ve got chicken breeder pens set up and each chicken pen has pigeons that live with them. They share food and I haven’t ever had problems. No disease and no injuries. I do recommend that the pigeons are given nesting sites where the chickens don’t step on the babies or eggs. The key is giving everybody enough personal space. If you free range your chickens and open the pen, the pigeons are likely to fly out but mine always return to the coop at dark to roost. I also have pigeons that fly freely and don’t necessarily have a pen. They roost in the barn and I feed them with the yard chickens. They’re really fun to watch.
I recently rescue a Pigeon baby

Back
Top Bottom