Can chickens and rabbits live together in the same coop?

I did some research and decided that it would do better with my mini pigs, dogs, and tortoise in their large field to roam if I monitor them well. But thank you!

My rabbit lives with my chickens, and I'm afraid he's developed a bit of a personality disorder, in that he thinks he is a chicken. Attached image proves this! He also has a habit of trying to mount one of my Sussex hens, but she just flaps up to the perch where he can't reach her!

This is my set up. Works for me . I have a gravity fed watering system that waters everything. Duck's and chickens in a 20x20 at night free range all day. Quail and pheasants in the rabbit's hutch rabbit's in wire cages. All my animals are very friendly, and yes they are for meat and eggs.

I've got meat rabbits in the same facility as chickens, though the are seperated and the rabbits are in hanging cages. I would never recommend housing rabbits on completely solid flooring especially with other animals, they're just too prone to parasites. i have seen settups where the chickens are in the same area as the hanging cages so they can turn the rabbit manure and pick anything edible out of it.

I went out one evening to chase the chickens out of the nest box- when I got there, the rabbit was trying to sleep in there with them. Once he saw me, and knew he was busted, he hid...

So, no problems getting along here :)

I simply cannot believe that people, in this day and age, actually raise rabbits in what are clearly inhumane living conditions, only to kill and eat these gentle creatures.

All of my meat rabbits are very affectionate and have not shown aggression towards people once! Depends on where you get the rabbits, and how they were raised... Handled from a young age (not too young though...) is best.

I simply cannot believe that people, in this day and age, actually raise rabbits in what are clearly inhumane living conditions, only to kill and eat these gentle creatures.
I simply cannot believe that people, in this day and age, actually raise chickens in what are clearly inhumane living conditions, only to kill and eat these gentle creatures.
I simply cannot believe that people, in this day and age, actually raise pigs in what are clearly inhumane living conditions, only to kill and eat these gentle creatures.
I simply cannot believe that people, in this day and age, actually raise cows in what are clearly inhumane living conditions, only to kill and eat these gentle creatures.
I simply cannot believe that people, in this day and age, actually raise geese in what are clearly inhumane living conditions, only to kill and eat these gentle creatures.

You think this is inhumane. It's not, and you obviously know nothing about how to keep healthy and clean rabbits.
Chickens, cows, pigs, geese, ducks... All amazing and intelligent creatures are actually getting treated inhumanely, in mass quantities, by the millions. Go complain about inhumane living conditions to your grocery store, where most meat will have had inhumane lives. Go complain to factory farms.

Raising meat rabbits on a hobby farm is humane. Rabbits are usually not over-bred, have spacious, clean cages, and should they fall ill they will surely be cared for ASAP, be it to put the animal down or to fix it.

Go to an egg "factory" and take a look at what is actually inhumane.

This is my set up. Works for me . I have a gravity fed watering system that waters everything. Duck's and chickens in a 20x20 at night free range all day. Quail and pheasants in the rabbit's hutch rabbit's in wire cages. All my animals are very friendly, and yes they are for meat and eggs.

Haha! Tell me how those rabbit eggs taste!

Back
Top Bottom