Can chickens and rabbits live together?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sherry, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have 3 white crested black polish bantams, and the larger chickens are picking on them. The rooster has been living in a crate in my kitchen for the last week since his crest feathers were pulled out. [​IMG]

The only safe place I have to put them would be in the barn coop with 3 very large Rex rabbits.

Was wondering if they would be able to co-habitate peacefully. I understand they will eat each others food, etc. Mainly wondering if there will be any fighting issues.

Thanks for any help!

2. magicsaddlebred

magicsaddlebred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    I have 2 dutch rabbits living in my coop and they seem to do well. I normally keep them in a cage in the coop but when I let them out, they are fine.

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

i wouldn't let the rabbits eat to much chicken feed

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Quote:What will it do to them?

5. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

they need the roughage and the greens

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have rabbits that live in my coop. Only the baby had problems eating the feed (I switched to pellets and she stopped). All is going well and I have my meat rabbit doe in there now so she will raising her kits in the coop (until I get a tractor for her built).

I provide lots and lots of fresh produce to all my animals so there isn't much dietary problems.

7. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    NO, it is the same as keeping chickens and gamebirds togeather. One species WILL DIE. It is just not a safe thing to do.

8. Turken Lover9847

Turken Lover9847 Chillin' With My Peeps

My rabbits and chickens live together . They have lived together for a few years now . I they rabbits are in there own pen with their very own pet chickens [​IMG]
    I will post pics later if you want .

9. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

You can keep them together, I was reading a story on BYC over the summer saying somebody kept their rabbits with their chickens for 8 years [​IMG]

10. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Im not saying its impossible, its just not a good idea. you need to think about what makes the animals happy not you. In the wild rabbits and chickens(junglefowl) don't live togeather so they shouldn't live togeather in captivity. And, no offense but, a story on BYC is not really the best place to get information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by