can chickens and turkeys be happy living in the same pen??

thank you every one for the info! so I'm 75% sure the turkey is a boy. should I buy him/her a buddy? he's about 3 1/2 weeks is he too old to introduce a new chick? I have two rabbit he/she could live with if its a boy or would that be bad? sorry I'm asking so many Q's
duc.gif
I'm not to experienced with turkeys.

Last edited:
The turkey poultry can't go with chicks. Self experience; they have diseases that can kill each other. As grown ups, I agree with the breeding thing. I had burban(I have no idea how to spell it) red turkeys, one of my males tried to breed one of my chickens and killed it. The female turkeys will chase the females too. Turkeys and chickens are two different types of birds!

So what I'm getting from this is I shouldn't keep it with the hens? what about ducks? or my Rabbits. he "heals" beside me like a dog and gets along with my dogs so right now he hangs with them but I feel like he should have friends who don't play as ruff.

thanks for the advice but it is no longer needed. my turkey chick died a horrible death last night
hit.gif
my lab bit his head puncture the back of his head and breaking his neck
hit.gif
I'm still crying.
hit.gif
it was my worst animal death because I was present when it happened
hit.gif
it was very bloody................ Rest In Peace Blue the turkey chick
hit.gif

So sorry about your turkey chick, we lost two of our chicks to our dogs yesterday as well. Nursing the third girl who somehow got away from them and lost some tail feathers, but shockingly survived. It's very sad and yes my share of tears rolled down my cheeks as well. One of the chicks killed was a rescue I brought homes so took that one extremely hard. First time chicken owners and my fiancé does not want to give up so we are to round two, in my eyes the final chapter. Hoping that we will never not make sure a door has completely closed and latched. That's all it took. So simple a task and so sad that a cracked door lead to mayhem and worse. But in their memory we will be diligent, even military like in our efforts to protect them. The dogs know no better, first time chicken dogs, so they will have to be separated for their lifetimes. I hope you feel better soon and try not to think about the details too much, better said than done I know. It's a gruesome sight that won't leave the memory gently. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom