Can chickens be raised like Kobe beef?

I use to buy corn feed chickens from a farm in Blooming Glenn, Pa. Yes the skin was very yellow and the meat was very tender. I miss that farm. They had the best turkeys at Thanksgiving and the best milk (in a glass bottle) I have ever tasted. They had beautiful produce too.

edited because I'm trying to type while on Dayquil (which effects me just like Nyquil!)

Last edited:
Quote:
I find it amusing that they claim "old-fashioned chicken taste" comes from a vegetarian diet of corn and soy, with no animal fat or by-products.

Old-fashioned chicken raising was mostly free range, (until relatively recently, without soybean flakes, too) and chickens are NOT naturally vegetarians.

I'm sure those chickens taste good, but I prefer my real old-fashioned chicken taste, from chickens that free range and get table scraps, and have a wide variety of foods, in addition to the feed. Depending on just how retro you want to get, once upon a time, there was no commercial feed at all. Chickens are omnivores, not vegetarians.

This is getting quite ridiculous. The birds described are free range.

However, i'm not trying to sell anyone else's chickens, raise yours how you like I could care less. My point (to the OP) was that diet can and does affect flavour, so they may well see some results with the different diet.

I think it's funny too that it's a crime to feed a chickne animal by-product. When in nature most birds of a chickens nature pick through the nastiest of dead and decaying meats for maggots and rotting flesh......
sickbyc.gif

But this is what they are suppose to eat... they are not vegatarians by no means.

Quote:
I was board and needed something to do and let about 40 crickets out of there cage and into the cope. You should have seen the fight to get them things. After they calmed down some I opened the door for them to go out and the stood there to see if there were any more hiding in the wood chips. They did start going out after ten minutes.

I think tomorrow will be a hand full of meal worms or cutup red worms. but I toss them out in the run because they don’t get away.

I'm still keeping the idea of raising maggots as a possible option for my future flock.

Road kill in a bucket. Punch holes in the bottom, hang it in the air, and let nature do its thing. Flys will be attracted to it, lay their eggs, and feed your birds. Not to mention that this will help with the fly population. No need for chemicals.

I'd rather do this and save the beer and massage for myself. Give me a nice cold stout and hot oil please. The chickens can have the maggots. They probably would enjoy them more than I will my beer. lol

Quote:
That in not entirely correct. Kobe beef is ALWAYS Tajima cattle born in Hyōgo Prefecture, and it is even copyrighted. Wagyu and Angus crossbreeds raised in the US or UK is "Kobe-style" and is a little cheaper, but it cannot ever equal the quality of real Kobe beef in my opinion.

Not all cattle raised to be Kobe beef reach those levels to be called that actually. Here is a short list on requirements to be classified that, and how it differs from "Kobe-style"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

ANYWAY ... my DBF and I have been wondering as well about Kobe style chicken, but since I am the one who does all the work for them there is no way I am sharing my beer, massaging them, and brushing them every day. It just doesn't seem all that healthy for them in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry RavenStorm I got my info out of a different source but your source is a lot more reliable. I should have looked around more before posting.

Quote:
LOL, don't worry about apologizing to me silly. I am just a purist when it comes to fancy-shmancy food, and I have watched WAY too many Japanese cooking shows to not share what I know.

Back
Top Bottom