Can chickens catch cold from a human?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thndrdancr, Jan 22, 2008.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I and my fam have had a bad cold lately, so I have not been giving my girls any treats that we have eaten off of.

Is this being too paranoid, or just common sense? They smell my grapefruit and think they are getting a goody, then are so disappointed, poor things.

And my one hen goes nuts for taco's, she bout had a fit this afternoon when I didnt give her my leftovers. [​IMG] She starts crying soon as you come in the door when she smells it, like "dont forget to give me some of that"

Silly question I know, but I have heard birds are prone to respiratory ailments and so.... am being careful. Is that silly?

Jill

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Let them have the treats. I have never heard of a chicken getting a cold from a human. And I have been raising chickens for well over fifty years. I could be wrong, but I don't thinks so this time.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    In answer to your question and in a single word ....no.

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Unless you suspect your cold is a respiratory infection in disguise, it'll be fine. Colds are viruses, and the odds of one mutating to not only affect another animal, but a bird, are so slim it's hardly worth considering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by