Can Chickens Co-Habitate with Geese?

dogzrule5

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Sanford, NC
I have seven chickens and have recently acquired a pair of goslings. For now, I have the goslings in my house - soon to be transferred to my garage.

When I move them outside, I'm assuming I'll have to keep them separate from the chickens till they at least grow large enough to be able to survive the pecking order being establlished. After that, can they all share the same barn/pasture freely or will I need to construct a separate area for the two geese?

I keep all of my fowl separate. Geese are waterfowl. When left to their own they graze the pasture and do not roost or go to bed at dark. People do keep their fowl together but I do not. there are too many problems that can develop. I would urge you to give them their own place that is not with the chickens.

I'm not sure exactly what you have planned here. But, yes goslings and chickens can share a yard, if by that you mean "lawn area or garden". As far as shelter, they should be housed separately, though. Generally they won't intermingle very much as geese are prone to wander far grazing all the way. Chickens never stray far from the feeder and nests.

My geese and chickens grew up together (both arrived as day-olds on the same day) and we haven't had too many problems. We had one Toulouse goose that ate chicken feathers right off the chickens, but it was no worse than what the chickens did to each other. They are all a year old now, and, although they don't pay much attention to each other, they all hang out in the same areas, except at night, when the chickens sleep in their roosts and the geese walk around making noise.

we have tolouse geese with chickens (barred rocks) and they're fine. The geese keep to themselves as do the chickens. They do snuggle up together at night. They were raised together from day-olds.

Back
Top Bottom