Can Chickens drink emergen-c packs

Buddyfarm11

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Phoenix,Arizona
My Coop
My Coop
You guys probably know how hot it gets here in Phoenix,Arizona and I know my local feed store sells some electrolyte patches for chicks. But I was wondering if emergen-c's are suppose to help us get electrolytes I am wondering if it will help my flock fight the summer without getting dehydrated last summer we lost almost all of our flock cause of the heat I am thinking they needed some electrolytes and I don't want the same story to repeat itself again this year so what do you guys recommend I use to help them survive this weather of 102 degrees Fahrenheit help me please will the emergen-c's help? if so which one do you recommend

I would ask first what you have done to ensure adequate air flow, shade, and fresh cool water to your flock before I would woory about something as unlikely as an electrolyte imbalance.

I agree do everything you can to help them to stay cool. Electrolytes don't help them keep cool. Chickens don't sweat, they do pant, so an imbalance of electrolytes is much harder for them to do.

Hey Buddy, I'm sorry to hear about the deaths in your flock last summer. As the others have mentioned, I also think it might be worth while to look at your shade, ventilation and water situation and think about how it might be improved. Occasional heat-related deaths happen here in the worst of the summer, but any more than that indicates a problem. It's possible to endure the summer here without any chicken deaths at all with just a few changes to make them cooler. You might want to post a description of your situation here or in our BYC AZ thread, where lots of helpful people will share their experiences of keeping chickens alive in the extreme heat.

I would ask first what you have done to ensure adequate air flow, shade, and fresh cool water to your flock before I would woory about something as unlikely as an electrolyte imbalance.

I agree do everything you can to help them to stay cool. Electrolytes don't help them keep cool. Chickens don't sweat, they do pant, so an imbalance of electrolytes is much harder for them to do.

Hey Buddy, I'm sorry to hear about the deaths in your flock last summer. As the others have mentioned, I also think it might be worth while to look at your shade, ventilation and water situation and think about how it might be improved. Occasional heat-related deaths happen here in the worst of the summer, but any more than that indicates a problem. It's possible to endure the summer here without any chicken deaths at all with just a few changes to make them cooler. You might want to post a description of your situation here or in our BYC AZ thread, where lots of helpful people will share their experiences of keeping chickens alive in the extreme heat.
Here is some pictures of my coop can you guys tell me if this will help them?

I have it under a tree that gives them good shade

their water is always fresh and I use that blue one for them to put their feet in when it gets hot

I give them a good ventilation window her is one on the side of the coop

and here is the other one behind it

Here is some pictures of my coop can you guys tell me if this will help them?

I have it under a tree that gives them good shade

their water is always fresh and I use that blue one for them to put their feet in when it gets hot

I give them a good ventilation window her is one on the side of the coop

and here is the other one behind it

I like to put Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes in my chickens water. I have had great results with it. Very easy to use. Plus its cheap!

Where can I get it?

Thanks for the link I will check it out

I will check it out watter feeder made from 5 gallon bucket after paint ,any restaurant have plenty of them I'm sure they will give out some for free.Then frizz the water in will stay cool for almost 5 hours slowly melting,(need also good size freezer for that)

Back
Top Bottom