1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens eat coffee grounds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lil Chickens, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Lil Chickens

Lil Chickens New Egg

Aug 6, 2016
    I saw a load of coffee grounds in the sink one morning and we don't have a compost pile. I felt bad for it to go to waste, so I am wondering if it is good to feed chickens coffee grounds? I was unsure about the caffeine so that is why I am skeptical about giving it to them. But I have read in some articles that it is good, but in others it says that it is bad. Please let me know.

2. jacksun

jacksun Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2015
    My chicks don't care for them, but they mix well with the litter. If dry you can put it in the coop for odor control

3. Lil Chickens

Lil Chickens New Egg

Aug 6, 2016
    Thank you!

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    You can raise red wigglers on coffee grounds and feed them to your chickens. We raise them for worm tea and to add them to our planters but the chickens get the escapees that are reproducing in the yard.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Oh yeah, you made my day. I'm a coffeeholic. I would love my coop to smell like a fresh pot of coffee. I can imagine building a large coop with a built in coffee bar. GC

6. billpack326

billpack326 Out Of The Brooder

Should they be dried before going in the litter?

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I haven't used coffee grounds in the litter yet, but I would let it dry before sprinkling on top of litter. GC

8. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    My coop does smell like coffee--I use coffee bean husks for their litter. Inevitably, there are some grounds mixed in and a few stray beans, but it doesn't seem to bother them. Composts really well when I dump the droppings tray compared to wood chips. I get them free from a local roaster along with burlap bags.

I will say that I have a small coop that makes them easy to use, and since free I can change the droppings tray when I want. In the lower run, I usually just add when needed. They are very lightweight and blow/track easily, so wouldn't be for everyone. They also don't work well in the nest boxes--stick to the eggs, so I use pads in those. My gals love it when I top off the run--jump in and fluff all around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by