Can chickens eat grapes with seeds?

sriston

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
Tamms, IL
Can chickens eat grapes with seeds? I have searched through posts and although there have been some relevant returns (posts where this question has been asked in the course of other topics), I have never been able to find the answer.

We have two Concord Grape vines in our yard that produce a heavy amount of grapes. Hubby is the only one who will eat them- he bought the wrong kind of grape vines and these Concord Grapes taste just like grape jelly to the rest of us. We do not like grape jelly.

These grape vines (and their grapes) are within easy reach of our "girls" (our chickens). They love grapes- it is by far their favorite treat. I give them a few grapes from the grocery store every day, but those are seedless grapes.

I printed out the list of what/what not to give your chickens I found on this forum. The list says they can eat "seedless grapes" but there is no mention of why not to feed grapes with seeds, and grapes with seeds are not on the "do not give" list. I have seen mentioned several times in this forum that chickens are not supposed to eat grapes with seeds, but I have never seen why, so I am not sure if that is just hearsay or what.

I do not plan on feeding our chickens all of the excess grapes. Since we will have so many grapes, I would like to be able to use some of them for their treats instead of store-bought grapes. Our chickens will also easily be able to reach a lot of the grapes that hang lower to the ground, and I know that once they discover them, they will want to eat them up (unless they, too, dislike Concord Grapes).

Before we go tearing out our grape vines (which do provide the girls with nice shade as they cover an arbor), I would like to know:

Can chickens eat grapes with seeds?

If not, then why can't they?

I would think they can. I have parrots and I know they do with no ill effects.

32279_shaggysgirl2002.jpg

Thank you for your answers. I am not going to worry about them eating grapes with seeds since I can't find any reason that they can't (especially if parrots eat them). I will leave my grapevines that cover our arbor in place (thank goodness! LOL). As I said, I had seen this question asked in other posts under different subjects but had never seen an answer, and I had also seen several times where people said they weren't supposed to eat grapes with seeds but I could never find why. Even the treat list available on this forum lists only seedless grapes as a treat. I am assuming then that it is just hearsay that chickens shouldn't eat grapes with seeds.

Again, thanks a bunch for your answers. I hope that anyone else with this question will now be able to find the answer easier since the subject is plain and easy on this question.
smile.png

Susan

Wahhhh! I wish we were closer and I could come take those vines off your hands. Maybe offer them to someone?

Sorry, I'm no help on the original question. I'm struggling here trying to get some teeny grape vines to grow and so envious of your productive plants! I made homemade concord grape jelly last summer and it was delicious!

Back
Top Bottom