Can chickens eat marshamallows?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jerseygirl1, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have two full bags of marshmallows leftover from a barbecue - can my chickens eat them, or should I say, are they OK to feed them, since they basically use their beaks as tiny shovels to their mouths.....

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They may choke and marshmallows are pure sugar, not the best treat for them anyway.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks, in the garbage they go!!

4. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Noooooooooo I fed mine half a bag leftover last week and none of them have keeled over!
    If you have a few chickens but loads of marshmallows stagger it over a few days, I picked them into smaller bits so they were more beak size!
    The girls loved them.
    I wouldn't recommend it every day but if they're going to waste otherwise.............
    Food is too readily thrown away these days considering the amount of starving people in the world.
    Recycle - make eggs!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I can just see them choking on sticky marshmallow, my main concern. I've had some almost choke just on bread, which should be easy to swallow, with them trying to keep pieces away from the others.

6. smileysal

Jul 14, 2009
    ;)Well like I said, mine have had them and didn't choke. It's tried and tested trust me! [​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    They make good raccoon bait for a live trap.
    You could make Rice Krispy Treats [​IMG]
    Or S'mores [​IMG] [​IMG]

But I wouldn't give them to the chickens, especially not 2 bags' worth. I bet they could handle some of them with no ill effect, but there's not much nourishment for them & there is a risk of choking.

My kids would LOVE to have them and would toast them over a campfire. Don't throw them away, see if there are some humans who would like to have them.

8. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't think I'd give'm 2 bags at once, unless you got 50 chickens or so. Otherwise, handfull at a time, over the fence the marshmellows would go.

It's amazing what they can get down their throats.

9. smileysal

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:There's not much nourishmnet in Rice Krispy Treats but it doesn't stop US eating them!!! [​IMG]

As for the choking thing, nope, none of my even gave a little cough, just a scoff!!!! [​IMG]

10. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I would never, ever give my chickens marshmallows. I wouldn't feed them sugar cubes; same thing, eh? You could donate them to a food pantry or shelter. I am sure some kids would enjoy rice crispy treats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by