Can chickens eat plants that have been treated with neem oil?

Sire12

Songster
Aug 29, 2016
Northern Ireland
Planning to plant out alot of parsley this year for the girls, and was thinking of treating it with neem oil on the plants and maybe in the soil too to keep away any pests I know it's edible for people but is it also safe for chooks?

Yes, neem is non toxic to birds. I've used it in the coop to get rid of red mites. Just be careful when you spray it so that bees are not affected.

Thanks, I know it's used for mites and considered non toxic if ingested but I mean if they were getting a regular supply of it through parsley (from spring to autumn at least) which has been sprayed with it and has soaked it in through the soil also then is it still ok?

Thanks for the reply

Pure neem oil degrades quickly in the sunlight or rain so I doubt there will be any left on the greens by the time your chickens actually eat it. Interestingly, I know finch breeders will brew up neem leaf tea as a medicine and to treat air sac mites.

Good reason not to use it at all on plants.

Ah ok, last year was my first real year of growing plants I had pansies and coriander in beds I didn't see any bees though, my neighbour has heaps of flowers in his garden and backyard I had assumed any bees had all gone to his, but maybe I won't bother with neem oil then if it would have any negative effect, I suppose if I do get pests I can just use a bottle of baby bio or somethin I was lucky last year I didn't have any so maybe I won't get any this year. Or I could place some mint pots next to them to keep pests away

Ah ok, last year was my first real year of growing plants I had pansies and coriander in beds I didn't see any bees though, my neighbour has heaps of flowers in his garden and backyard I had assumed any bees had all gone to his, but maybe I won't bother with neem oil then if it would have any negative effect, I suppose if I do get pests I can just use a bottle of baby bio or somethin I was lucky last year I didn't have any so maybe I won't get any this year. Or I could place some mint pots next to them to keep pests away

It's advised to spray plants with neem in the evening so that you aren't at risk of spraying pollinators. Directly spraying them will kill them, but any spray residue on the plant at the recommended dosage won't hurt them.
http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-bees-beneficial-insects.html

Back
Top Bottom