Can Chickens eat pumpkin

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by whitecra, Oct 31, 2008.

1. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My son carved a big pumpkin last night and now we have a pan full of pumpkin meat and the seeds. Can chickens eat this or will it hurt them? I was just wanting to find out before I give it to them. Thanks for any info.
    Chris

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

go for it ... its a favorite of my girls. It's funny to watch them go nuts over it.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Pumpkin seeds and pulp are a natural wormer. I fed my girls till they almost popped.

4. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks I will try it and see if they like it.
    Chris

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    The seeds need to be cracked open in order for them to do the most good for worming!!

6. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    We carved our pumpkin last night too. My chickens were chasing each other around the barn trying to steal each other's pumpkin seeds at 5:00 this morning!

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    The chickens seem to have a good time hollowing out a pumpkin. I put a rather large whole one in the coop once with a small starter hole for them. It was fun to watch them burrow into it and scrape it clean of pulp with the resulting thin skin collapsing down on top of one very suprised bird.

Wayne

1 person likes this.
  8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They sure do love them! Mine have gotten many different varieties of squash this year, which they've absolutely loved. They like the ooey-gooey innards best! I throw the pumpkin seeds & goo in my food processor to break up the seeds for them.

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    We only have pumpkins. I still have a few more to carve today. I gave the chickens alot and kept alot of seeds for myself. Most of them are in my tummy. Salted and baked [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  10. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I'm glad someone asked me, but if ya think about it, if the little coooks get in your garden they are gonna help themself to some good ole punkins!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by