can chickens eat pumpkins?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I was wondering. Can I give my chickens pumpkins from harvest display after halloween?

If so, what is the best way to offer them to the chickens?

thanks

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Mine just tore one up!
    Possibly a natural dewormer,
    so I've read.

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I was growing a few pumpkins last year, and a little bit of sun scald led to rot in a few patches... Next thing the chickens were up to their shoulders, feasting on whole pumpkin from the inside out. They adored it, and their yolks were stunningly orange for quite a long while afterward.

I have a feeling Halloween pumpkins are a different kettle of fish, but if they eat it, why not?

Pumpkin seeds are supposedly good to help with worming...
    regards
    Erica

4. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Oh man my girls like all kinds of squash, pumpkins and for some reason particularly love the acorn squash

5. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:Wow! I had no idea that it was a natural wormer, that is a bonus. So what is the best way to feed them to the chickens?
    Should I cut them in half or just give them the seeds?

That is cute about the eggs being orange. [​IMG]

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Just cut them in half and let them go at it. They will eat everything but the skin, which they will just leave.

7. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    My chickens love pumpkins. I cut them in half put in on the ground. The chickens will eat the seeds first, and then pick at the flesh until their is just a super thin skin left behind. It gives them food and tons of entertainment.

8. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

yep. I just throw them on the concrete to crack them open and they come running to chow- seeds and all!

9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Yes, they can and will eat pumpkin! They'll also eat watermelon (my flock just adores the stuff!) and just about anything else you'll toss out to them. [​IMG] As for deworming benefits? I understood that to be the pumpkin seeds were the beneficial part for that. Raw...? Maybe ground up a bit and either tossed out or mixed in their feed...?

Of course, there will be many who will argue the finer points of that and insist you must use certain chemical agents for this purpose, but I don't believe in the chemicals myself and will stick with all natural when and where possible!

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh you bet they can! Mine love it. They get our left over Jacko lanterns plus I grow extra just for them. They eat every last bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by