Can chickens eat raw peanuts?

Sunkhaze Farm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
My daughter is doing a science project that involves are chickens. She found it on one of the web sites that was recommended by her teacher and was for kids who already had family chickens. What you do is take one or two of your hens and feed them separate from the others and add different amounts of peanuts to there feed over so many weeks. You measure and weigh there eggs daily to see if they get bigger or smaller the the others. When she was doing research she found a site that said chickens can not eat raw peanuts. Anyone know if that is true? Thanks in advance

Were they raw? I know that peanuts are actually legumes so if they are raw it is different then nuts. I bought some peanut hearts at the feed store and they are raw so I was going to roast them first to be safe. Anyone else have any thoughts or info on this?

I dunno if they shouldn't. Mine do eat them and go "nuts" for them when I throw them a handful.

Were they raw?

Yes, completely raw and unsalted. I bought them a few weeks ago at a feed store - they were in the section of livestock feed - where you buy corn, nuts and seeds to put out for squirrels, deer and so on. My mother used to make Peanut Soup when I was a kid that was so delicious that although the peanuts were packaged as animal feed, I decided to use some to make some peanut soup
hide.gif

The soup turned out great but the bag was way more than I needed so I've been giving the chooks a handful every few days ever since and they really enjoy them.

I may just toss them in the oven and roast them up, she has to feed them daily along with the regular feed and she and I would be devastated in they harmed them. I figured it would give more info on the web site for the science project but it didn't
idunno.gif

"Peanuts: Feeding shelled unsalted peanuts isn't messy and they are highly nutritious for the birds that can eat them. Most birds can shell whole (unshelled) peanuts, with varying degrees of effort. Squirrels love peanuts. However, don't feed RAW peanuts to squirrels and other animals because it can seriously hurt them. Raw peanuts and other legumes contain a trypsin inhibitor or substance that inhibits or prevents the pancreas from producing trypsin, an enzyme essential for the absorption of protein by the intestine. Squirrels fed a steady diet of raw peanuts, soybeans. other legumes, and sweet potatoes could easily develop severe malnutrition. According to the Washington State Cooperative Extension Service, roasting hulled raw peanuts for 20 to 30 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring them frequently, will destroy the trypsin inhibitor and render them suitable for feed. If that sounds like a lot of work, buy roasted peanuts but be sure they aren't salted. (Salted nuts of any kind should never be fed to wild animals.) "

from

http://www.avianweb.com/feedingwildbirds.html

(I feed peanuts too but I buy mine unsalted roasted from the bulk grocery store bins.) Please note that the above quote is meant to be for wild birds.

Thank you so much for that info, we did not want to cause harm! Gonna get them in the oven tonight - thank you :)

"Peanuts: Feeding shelled unsalted peanuts isn't messy and they are highly nutritious for the birds that can eat them. Most birds can shell whole (unshelled) peanuts, with varying degrees of effort. Squirrels love peanuts. However, don't feed RAW peanuts to squirrels and other animals because it can seriously hurt them. Raw peanuts and other legumes contain a trypsin inhibitor or substance that inhibits or prevents the pancreas from producing trypsin, an enzyme essential for the absorption of protein by the intestine. Squirrels fed a steady diet of raw peanuts, soybeans. other legumes, and sweet potatoes could easily develop severe malnutrition. According to the Washington State Cooperative Extension Service, roasting hulled raw peanuts for 20 to 30 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring them frequently, will destroy the trypsin inhibitor and render them suitable for feed. If that sounds like a lot of work, buy roasted peanuts but be sure they aren't salted. (Salted nuts of any kind should never be fed to wild animals.) "

from

http://www.avianweb.com/feedingwildbirds.html

(I feed peanuts too but I buy mine unsalted roasted from the bulk grocery store bins.) Please note that the above quote is meant to be for wild birds.

I'm a little suspicious about that information. My DH is fond of reminding us that just because its on the web doesn't make it true or accurate - anyone can post anything they want to the web. The reason I am suspicious is that I have a strong belief in Mother Nature knowing best. I avoid taking supplements because I believe everything we need *should* be available if we just eat the right foods. I practiced natural childbirth because I believe it is better than the alternatives. And I don't think Mother Nature provided a food (peanuts) that is harmful in its natural state, and must be cooked to make it less so. Animals have no way to cook a food, so eat it raw - that is as was intended. I don't eat a raw food diet myself, but do believe that raw food is probably better nutritionally, than cooked food.

It also says above that a full steady diet of raw legumes can be a problem...not partial diet or occasional consumption. I am not roasting the peanuts nor will i feed them to my hens as their exclusive steady diet. I have I will dole them out as a snack. I amsure all the squrrels and hens will be fine.

I may just toss them in the oven and roast them up, she has to feed them daily along with the regular feed and she and I would be devastated in they harmed them. I figured it would give more info on the web site for the science project but it didn't
idunno.gif
Feeding them raw or dried out would be completely different cases, and similar to beans, which we are told NOT to do. Remember dry beans warning on fowl and waterfowl...

If someone says you shouldn't do something they usually have a reason.

Back
Top Bottom