can chickens eat this

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ilovechickensrock, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    can chickens eat cucumber peels? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've never fed them peels, I just cut the cucumbers the long way, and let them devour the middles out of them. They usually leave the peel. I wonder if they'd have a difficult time digesting the peel in their crops.....

3. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Check out this chicken treat chart, very informative:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

I've given them a cuke sliced the long way, never peeled it for them. Later I found the leftover shriveled peel in the run... didn't seem to care to much for it. I wonder if they instinctivly leave it behind like a rind from a melon.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine prefer the seeds -- any seeds -- I think they eat watermelon flesh to get the seeds -- they will leave a thin layer of the very outer green area but eat right down to it [​IMG]

5. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    thanks for the help [​IMG]

6. davi

davi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    If your chickens like it. They usually don't leave the peel, thats what I've heard.
    I usually cut mine into VERY small pieces if they're raw, becuase they try to swallow it but they can't or they'll choke.

7. davi

davi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    sorry mistake meant to say that they do leave the peel.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My girls are like little kids - they won't eat any green veggies, cooked or raw, cut little or left whole. I guess it's because they free range a lot and get their fill of grass greenery... [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All my kitchen scraps go to the birds, and I don't see any peels left on the ground. Don't bother cutting them up, that's what the sharp beaks are for, and they can swallow amazing quantities of food whole. Like seriously, a half grown mouse, just down the hatch. I never cut things up for my birds and have never had one choke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by