Can chickens eat wormy vegitables??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by opihiman911, Feb 20, 2008.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I had something attack all my zucchini and summers squashes that are in my garden. I went to pick some last night for dinner and when I cut it open it had dozens of little white worms in it. I opened all of them up and they were the same. Not sure what kind of bug layed eggs in my zucchini but it looks like they are all done for.
    I'm definately not going to eat them, but instead of wasting all those vegis can I give them to my chickens? I would assume so since it natural for chickens to eat bugs and worms, but I don't know what kind of bug or worms it is.
    Sure hope its alright because there is dozens of foot long squashs that all look like they have been bitten or stung and probally have worms in them. Hate to see it go to a total waste.

Aloha,
    Cory

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

First I'm jealous that you have fresh garden veggies this time of year!!!!!

In the summer I always throw those kinds of veggies to my chickens and ducks. Never had a problem with it....I figure it's just more protein for them.

3. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I would love to see some pictures of your garden since I am buried in snow here in Maine.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I'm also jealous that you have a garden now. I bet you get to have one year round there? I would love to have fresh veggies all year round. I bet that cuts down on your grocery bill. It would for us. I would feed it to the chickens, I don't think it would hurt them at all. Maybe just a little at a time. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would *think* (this is theory, not experience) that as long as it's just bugs, not rot or mold anywhere, it should be fine. Just be careful because Actual Spoilage often goes along with bugginess, and that would *not* be good for the chickens.

Pat

6. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

They should be able to eat wormy vegetables since they eat bugs and worms. If it is moldy I would throw it in to a compost bin.

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I agree with the wormy stuff being ok and the moldy not ok.
    We just picked up 17" of snow in the last couple of days. When we are able to garden we can and freeze enough of everything for a whole year. My list is very long with what is preserved. We spend months saving wholesome goodies for the family.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by