Can Chickens Eat...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickachee, Oct 19, 2013.

1. chickachee

chickachee Chillin' With My Peeps

Cream Cheese? I have it left over for a "Girl's"Hen" Party Weekend and don't want to eat it myself, or throw it away if I don't have to...

Thanks for the help!

2. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    I would be afraid to give it to them. I feed mine scraps but only raw fruit and vegetable scraps. I don't give them cooked or processed foods aside from bread and that isn't often. We usually eat all our bread.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It won't hurt them

4. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    If it isn't moldy it should be fine. Chickens love dairy products, and they give them extra protein. I give mine cheese on occasion and they love it. Just make sure they like it before throwing the whole thing out for them, and don't give them milk products too often. I also recommend reading "Chickens for Dummies," as it has a complete list of what you can and can't feed your chickens.

5. fluffychicken24

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Oh, and it won't hurt them to have dairy products a lot. My chickens just tend to get tired of something if we give it to them too often.

6. Shadow722

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    My dogs get all the scraps we don't feed the chickens. Sometimes my dogs will even be over where I feed the chickens scraps at eating with them. My dogs will eat nearly any veggies and fruits I throw out.
    One is a 2 year old black lab mix and the other is a 16 year old Norfolk Terrier who is getting near death. She is getting very stiff and don't expect her to make through the winter.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. fluffychicken24

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire

8. Shadow722

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    I got her (Norfolk terrier) in Pensacola when I went to a Navy school there. She was an abused dog in a shelter we adopted and she was nearly 3 years old then. I couldn't bring my big dog from home in TN and we lived in a town house so I got the little dog. We had her a year before my son was born. She had some jealousy issues over that and took a while to warm up to a kid. She didn't like kids and I think she was probably abused by one. She had a front leg that was broken and healed up crooked. My kids and wife aren't ready for her to be put down but she is getting feeble. She has been an indoor and outdoor dog. She was outdoors when the jealousy issue over kids started and was outside for 5 years and we moved to PA into military housing and they required dogs be kept inside. She was inside for 4 years there and I guess a year in OK before she started having problems going in the house. She is getting old and would go find a corner and hide what she was doing. She went back out at that point and has been out for 2 years now. She fares good outside and gets a heavy coat and she will sleep with the big dog when it is cold.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The cream cheese will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by