Can chickens get depressed? Update: he's sick instead

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Critter Crazed, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I have a bantam cochin rooster in with one silkie hen and the silkie hen recently went broody so he's stuck all alone in his run.
    He's acting almost depressed-like.. kind of lethargic and I want to know if he's either sick or if he is actually depressed from being lonely. Poor little guy. [​IMG] He's sitting on my lap sleeping as I type this. He also sounds different. He has sad little "bawwwkkkk....." 's... breaks my heart!!! So am I just being stupid or can chickens get depressed?

He has no other sick symptoms.. although the hen was wheezing the other day whenever she breathed but I've been treating them with antibiotics and she seems fine now.

Editted to add: He used to have a total of 5 silkie hens but I got rid of 4 of them a few weeks ago so he's used to having more buddies around.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hide the hatchet.[​IMG]

3. Lespaul0738

Lespaul0738 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    my three that died was acting depressed i thought, they would stay still and eventually fall asleep, and they wouldent eat or drink, or move around much, and then they just died on me one day, and my other chickens where fine

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

depressed? [​IMG] ... but I have had mine lose the will to live... I'd say that is extremely depressed.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they can get depressed. I had a chicken that I had to remove from integration because he was pecked so badly. So he was by himself in a small coop, but within sight of the others. He got horribly depressed. Sometimes he wouldn't even come out of the coop.

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have an EE that is usually very talkative. Today she was making the most pitiful whinning sound. I have not petted her or picked her up until today for a week or more. Depressed? I don't know.

7. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    Oh no!!! That makes me worry, I do not want my baby to die. [​IMG] This is why I'm worried.. is this a sign of a deadly illness? If so what should I do? I have other chickens but they are still too young to be integrated so I was waiting til they got bigger. I think I'm gonna put them in with my rooster tomorrow. They are three months old.. I think it would be for the best.

[​IMG]

8. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    By the way.. This is no normal rooster.

[​IMG]
    Ignore my icky tshirt. It's my chicken cuddling shirt. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Giving one of the old girls a kiss.
    [​IMG]
    After I had to soak his feet in epsom salts cuz his feather shafts were infected

He's a real sweetie.. gets attached to people and chickens a lot, I guess. [​IMG]

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:It's a boy!... [​IMG] [​IMG] well I hope he doesn't die [​IMG]

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I just love those pics! No wonder you are worried; he does seem so sweet and special. Hopefully he's just having a sad day; I bet he'll be fine tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by