StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I have a mouse problem in my coop. When I open the door at night I see them scurrying across the floor and into holes they chewed in the siding. They are either White-footed or North American Deer mice and I'm pretty sure that both can spread hantavirus to humans, but what about chickens? Can chickens catch anything from mice?
Because of the hantavirus I am reluctant to go through the trouble of removing their nests which they built in between mesh and hardware cloth in the vents... }:-(

With the amount of rats I have running in the neighborhood and the chicken coop, we all should have the Black Plague by now.

Fortunately, direct rodent disease transmission is possible but fairly rare. Most viruses are species specific, but viruses can be carried on the fur of a rodent from one diseased coop to another.

Mice can also carry in coccidia protozoa from other locations bringing in strains your flock is not resistant to.

More likely the little critters will bring in Northern Fowl Mite or Red Roost Mite as hitchhikers, who will gladly set up residence.

Any left over droppings can grow histoplasmosis and aspergillis, fungi infections which of course can affect both birds and people. And of course bacterial colonies.

The droppings also encourage the Darkling Beetle which harbors enough stuff that you don't want them in your coop...from virus transmissions to internal worms.

So, the war rages on between chicken keepers and the furry rodents who abound in the general vicinity.

Keep the effort up, but don't stay up nights worrying about the apocalypse in the barn. Keep everyone's immune systems up in the coop, and always wear a mask when cleaning the coop.

LofMc

Thanks a lot for all the info, @Lady of McCamley! Do you think I should get rid of the nests? I will certainly wear a mask and gloves! I'm afraid the mice will be in there when I remove the nests and they'll scurry down my arms...

LOL...I totally get the dread. Each night at lock up, I've got my Rat Terrier at my ankles. I've nearly had a startled rat run up my boots. Lord help one if it ever did. (BTW...having some animal helpers works great...have you thought of a barn cat or a small rat chasing dog?)

Technically, yes, you should get rid of those nests. Will you be able to get rid of all of them? Probably not. The little critters make nests faster than you can destroy them.

I've got large holes chewed into my coop as I closed up the easy entrances. Instead of blocking them all out, we set out poisons and remove chicken feed at night. It's easier on the coops.

LofMc

Thanks! Okay, I'll try to get rid of those stinkers. I wish I had a hazmat suit! I've tried blocking the holes, but after I close up one they chew another one nearby! UGH! I hope to one day redo my coop and make it mouse-proof or at least mouse-resistant...

Thanks a lot for all the info, @Lady of McCamley! Do you think I should get rid of the nests? I will certainly wear a mask and gloves! I'm afraid the mice will be in there when I remove the nests and they'll scurry down my arms...

Don't worry, they won't scurry down your arms. They will scurry UP your arms! When I was a kid, I was out in the shop with my Dad. He always wore coveralls. Think: heavy fabric, full piece. Shirt and pants all rolled into one piece of clothing, with a zipper from neck line to bottom of the fly. Well, that day, he was cleaning, and organizing. He disturbed a mouse, and it ran up his pant leg. Never saw my Dad dance until then!

Back
Top Bottom