Can chickens get grit in there run?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    My chickens have a huge run! Its about 25 ft by 15 ft or so. And its got a big dirt/mulch area with big bushes and trees plus they have a big grass area. Would they get grit in there or do I have to give it to them? The feed stores around here dont' have grit. They peck and eat ALOT of things in the dirt. lol

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I would supply grit, dirt and mulch are just that. I don't supply it because I have so much sand with all kinds of small rocks and gravel that they pick and chose what they want. With all their scratching and a little rain they have a new supply.

3. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    If their run is on grass and dirt they will be fine...

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My birds free range and I do offer them grit, but they haven't touched it. I have had the same grit in their coup for months. I think you would be ok, but would still offer grit if possible.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Mine do but I only supply grit in the coop in the winter when they either won't go outside or cant't.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

My chickens also have a very large run that they quickly turned to dirt only. They also free range a couple hours a day. However our soil here is very fine/sandy so I do supply a small dish of grit and they do eat it, I refill it once a week. If you have rocky/pebbly soil they should be ok. I just like knowing that by me supplying it, it's there if they need it.

7. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I would say it all depends on what kind of dirt you have. I didn't supply grit for my pullets ( who are still separate from the rest). I now have a 22-week-old ISA brown with an impacted crop which we figure was from a too big rock. I guess we didn't have enough sandy area for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by