"Can chickens hatch quail eggs" Yes they can!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 7quails3chicken, May 24, 2012.

1. kapie9969

kapie9969 Chirping

Aug 7, 2012
    Fat daddy,what kind of chicken did you use?

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Crowing

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I dont use a chicken at all, never have. When I was starting out years ago, the question came up. The "elders" at the time warned against broody hens for the same reasons stated above. I did'nt figure I needed to repeat what they had tried before me so I built a incubator. This subject seems to come up every few months or so, always with the same results.... If you want just a few birds and can wait on a chicken to go broody. A hen may be just right for you. If you plan to hatch a lot of birds, several times a year. you need a bator... Everyone has there own needs and methods of fulfilling them. Me, I use a bator. Good luck how ever you decide to hatch. Bill

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. kapie9969

kapie9969 Chirping

Aug 7, 2012
    You had said a chicken stomped on all the eggs,so i asked that.Mabe it was someone else.silkies and cochins are said to be super broody.So much so they arent good for regular egg production. Im just having fun,not trying to hatch a zillion eggs.I used a home made bator to get my bantams with an 54 % hatch rate my first time.Mabe im wrong,ill find out.Let you know.

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Crowing

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    it was Supaflyz that most recently lost his 50 eggs to a chicken. I hatch 100's of eggs a year, I usually run 2 bators and and a separate hatcher. One bator has not been off since jan. You can see why a chicken would not be a option for me. I do have a friend that uses a silkie at times. 2 or three at a time seems to work better for her. Cochins have a rep for not "stick'n with it", but some will.... Good luck. Bill

5. Babiesbabies

Babiesbabies Hatching

Oct 5, 2014
    I Just wanted to add my 2 cents... I have hatched quail eggs under my silkie hen for the first time. I gave her 20 eggs and she hatched 17! She raised them beautifully :). I had her in a small enclosure inside of the quail pen and when the babies started escaping and the adults started getting in with them, I removed the enclosure. There have been no issues between the adults and baby quails at all. They all get along quite nicely. I have now got my second silkie hen with about 10 eggs to see how she goes with it all. Plus, I have got a beautiful khaki campbell cross pekin drake to mate with my khaki campbells because having little babies is so much fun!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: