"Can chickens hatch quail eggs" Yes they can!!!!!!!

I dont use a chicken at all, never have. When I was starting out years ago, the question came up. The "elders" at the time warned against broody hens for the same reasons stated above. I did'nt figure I needed to repeat what they had tried before me so I built a incubator. This subject seems to come up every few months or so, always with the same results.... If you want just a few birds and can wait on a chicken to go broody. A hen may be just right for you. If you plan to hatch a lot of birds, several times a year. you need a bator... Everyone has there own needs and methods of fulfilling them. Me, I use a bator. Good luck how ever you decide to hatch. Bill

Last edited:
You had said a chicken stomped on all the eggs,so i asked that.Mabe it was someone else.silkies and cochins are said to be super broody.So much so they arent good for regular egg production. Im just having fun,not trying to hatch a zillion eggs.I used a home made bator to get my bantams with an 54 % hatch rate my first time.Mabe im wrong,ill find out.Let you know.

it was Supaflyz that most recently lost his 50 eggs to a chicken. I hatch 100's of eggs a year, I usually run 2 bators and and a separate hatcher. One bator has not been off since jan. You can see why a chicken would not be a option for me. I do have a friend that uses a silkie at times. 2 or three at a time seems to work better for her. Cochins have a rep for not "stick'n with it", but some will.... Good luck. Bill

I Just wanted to add my 2 cents... I have hatched quail eggs under my silkie hen for the first time. I gave her 20 eggs and she hatched 17! She raised them beautifully :). I had her in a small enclosure inside of the quail pen and when the babies started escaping and the adults started getting in with them, I removed the enclosure. There have been no issues between the adults and baby quails at all. They all get along quite nicely. I have now got my second silkie hen with about 10 eggs to see how she goes with it all. Plus, I have got a beautiful khaki campbell cross pekin drake to mate with my khaki campbells because having little babies is so much fun!!

I don't think that's physically possible. A chicken egg wouldn't fit under a quail. Not to mention that quail very, very, rarely go broody.

Back
Top Bottom